76roller

Jun 11, 2009
me and a buddy are working a his 01 cr80 that hes had in the garage for a long time.
well first off, i emptyed out the old gas, put in some freshly mixed 91 octane (32to1). i took the carb out, sprayed it down to remove some sticky film on the bores and slide. poped off the fuel bowl and removed all the gunk that had built up in there. i checked the pulg for spark and it had spark. but im not sure if its fouled im not sure what they look like when they are fouled.i check the air filter and it seems to be covered with some sticky oily stuff .
once the carb was back in, pulled the choke and gave it a few kicks and it fired up, after a few revs i poped the choke down and it dies, it only start with the choke up. and only ides with the choke up. i let it idle for a few minutes with the choke on and it still dies without the choke. if i feather the throttle and ride it will run strong, wheel in the air 1st thru 3rd. i just wont idle!! whats my problem/s?

76roller

Jun 11, 2009
Idle Problem With 2001 Cr80

i posted this in the wrong topic so ill repost here:

me and a buddy are working a his 01 cr80 that hes had in the garage for a long time.
well first off, i emptyed out the old gas, put in some freshly mixed 91 octane (32to1). i took the carb out, sprayed it down to remove some sticky film on the bores and slide. poped off the fuel bowl and removed all the gunk that had built up in there. i checked the pulg for spark and it had spark. but im not sure if its fouled im not sure what they look like when they are fouled.i check the air filter and it seems to be covered with some sticky oily stuff .
once the carb was back in, pulled the choke and gave it a few kicks and it fired up, after a few revs i poped the choke down and it dies, it only start with the choke up. and only ides with the choke up. i let it idle for a few minutes with the choke on and it still dies without the choke. if i feather the throttle and ride it will run strong, wheel in the air 1st thru 3rd. i just wont idle!! whats my problem/s?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
you have to be sure the jets inside the fuel bowl are clean... they have a very small hole and you must see light trhu them...
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=171123

all foam air filter must have oil to keep dirt out of engine and they must be clean, say, every ride...
replace the spark plug... they are cheap and there is no easy way to tell if its fouled just by look...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A Factory Honda Service Manual would be some money well spent for you or your friend whoever the bike belongs to.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
There is an orifice in the bowl that needs to be cleaned, also remove the pilot jet and clean it and the pilot jet circuit. You will want to remove the air screw also and blow compressed air and carb cleaner through all the passages.

Running only with choke on is 99% of the time a plugged up pilot jet

Top Bottom