If you have a TT-R250, put some air in the forks..

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well I just put 5.8 psi in my forks and it improved the stiffness of the front end a ton! Now the back end sags and the front end is higher! This isnt good though, but I dont know how you would go about stiffening up the backend. I have the Nit. cantaner on the hardest setting but it still sags! Oh well. Any ideas? Peace

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
MRK
I think you have to set up your spring preload to balance out with the front. Setting up your compression/rebound won't effect the rear sag.
Strach

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Ok, there is a dial on the bottom of the (ass) shock. Do I need to adjust that? I am totally clueless about the rear end. It is so soft, and I only weight 125:p Any other way of making the rear end stiffer? Thanks. Peace

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Your going to have to loosen the triple clamps and take the forks out of the clamps, if your using an aircompressor like me (couldnt find the ol' pump). The maximum psi you can put in the forks is 5.8 psi. To do this on the top of the forks there will be a rubber cover, take that off and you will see what looks like the tire valve. Just fill them up and take the psi reading and then put them back on, and but the wheel and brake back on and your done. Stiffer front end:p

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
NeedSpeed
I didn't take off my forks. I put the bike up on a stand to get the weight off the front end (you have to anyway to adjust the clickers on the bottoms of the forks) and put air in the valves on the top of the forks.:D You might want to remove your #plate for a little easier access to the valves

MRK
I think you have to back off the bolt and turn the spring to adjust your sag
Strach

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
It has been my experience that adding air to forks leads to blown seals. A better way to stiffen the front end would be to build some preload spacers to out in your forks. On the XR 200 my brother had we added air to the forks through the valves and would only get maybe a month of seal life. After much hassle we built preload spacers and the seal problems went away. Then we only used the air valves to bleed out built up pressure, not add any.

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
MRK
The locknut is the top nut of the two nuts (they look like gears) on the top of the spring. You loosen the locknut the turn the adjusting nut in increases spring preload. Be sure not to exceed the preload settings. It is measured from one end of the spring to the other. Minimum is 8.8in to max of 9.3in . :think

IDkTm
The manual states that the max should not exceed 5.8psi or seal damage may occur. I've been riding mine for two months with no problems
;)
Strach

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Kind of depends on the design I would imagine... I have an older ninja sportbike that I can pump up quite a ways to stiffen the front, in addition to external valve adjusters... The TTR might be set up like that...

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
MRKRacing 125 - I weigh way more than you and have been able to set the suspension on my TTR to where it works satisfactorily. I have the sag @ 95 mm , compression clicker 10 out, rebound clicker at 6 on the rear, and front compression clickers @ 10 out with no air in the forks. I have the forks flush with the triple clamps. Set up this way I have about the correct amount of free sag front and rear, so the both of the spring rates are ok. I mainly ride tight trails and like the suspension set up plush to aborb. My setup would not work for MX. CRX

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well I tried that, and it still isnt any stiffer! I think I might have done something to the shock, while riding. It doesnt seem to have any resistince in it. I bottom out over everything!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by MRKRacing125
Your going to have to loosen the triple clamps and take the forks out of the clamps

I use a hand pump for balls, didn't have to remove anything

also found a presure gauge thats vertical and reads in one lb increments

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
MRK
Sounds like you went the wrong direction and decresed the spring preload?

Note: TTR250 owners please check the For Sale/Wanted forum
Strach

Top Bottom