if your rear shock leaks, does that mean it needs a rebuild?

DirtRyder02

Mod Ban
Jul 18, 2002
my rear shock has been leaking oil, and wanted to know if this means i'm gonna have to get the shock rebuilt? after i ride my rm125 i look at the rear shock and the shock is like half covered with shock oil??? rebuild or something else???

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
ii dont know alot about rear shocks, but could it be like for seals and just dirt? Its not good that your losing the oil though... definatly look into it.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
do not ride it! if you get it fixed now it could be possible you only need fresh fluid ,seals and a nitrogen charge. If you keep riding it and you lose all of your shock fluid , BESIDES BEING UNSAFE, you can really ruin a lot of expensive parts quick!

If the nitrogen charge was let out of it that could make it leak. But by the time you see fluid coming out of it you should have it gone over to make sure the seals aren't damaged and that there is enough fluid in it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067
do not ride it! if you get it fixed now it could be possible you only need fresh fluid ,seals and a nitrogen charge. If you keep riding it and you lose all of your shock fluid , BESIDES BEING UNSAFE, you can really ruin a lot of expensive parts quick!

If the nitrogen charge was let out of it that could make it leak. But by the time you see fluid coming out of it you should have it gone over to make sure the seals aren't damaged and that there is enough fluid in it.

Bingo! Spot on big guy!

When I bought the Zinger, the rear was blown and had been for some time :|
It only cost a little over $100.00 for parts and labor for the rebuild but the other cost of replacing the linkage berings and a new dog bone(Wallowed out due to shot berings) added another $100.00 bucks. Play it smart and get a rebuild.

Good Luck,
Phillip

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I repaired a shock like this a few months back. It was on an old DR 350 and I did not want to spend much rebuilding the shock.

I learned a lot doing the job. My local Honda shop spent a bunch of time matching old CR 250 shock parts to my Suzuki. All in all, I was under 50.00 for the whole thing. I have my own nitrogen, but I cannot imagine the local shop charging much for this service.

Top Bottom