Ignition Problem anyone know some cheap fix?

Santaaa

May 28, 2005
I have a 1980 Yamaha DT100G with an ignition problem. I can start the bike with out a key. I called my local dealer and they said that it is not ground anymore. They say I will need a new ignition switch as it acts as a break in the circuit when it is off. So anyone know how to re-ground it to make it work. They told me it would cost me about $40 to get a new one and I am short on money as of now and I need a cheap solution. Please help me out. If anyone knows a good junk yard I can get one from ordering over the web let me know. I do not want my brothers friends just hopping on it and riding it when ever the heck they want to. :yikes: They would just beat the krap out of it and ruin it.

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
Buy a padlock and attach it to the rear sprocket. That'll keep them from riding more than a couple of inches.

TrailFan

Nov 11, 2005
iv never tried it but my friend used to draw a line on his spark plug with a pencil from plug boot to ground he said the bike wont start if you do it. then you just wipe it off when you want to go ridin.

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
Does 40 bucks makes any differnt to you?
Change the switch and be well, before you've done some damage.
:coocoo:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Nathan Rubin said:
Does 40 bucks makes any differnt to you?
Change the switch and be well, before you've done some damage.
:coocoo:

The guy posted he didn't want to spend the $40 at this moment. He is looking for an alternative. OK ??

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Install a toggle switch somewhere in the line in an inconspicuous place and flip off and on as you need.

Mark

Gid

Oct 19, 2005
it wouldnt run at all withouta ground ...electirsit runs from the - to the + (really) but the toggle is a good idea or just buy a new key swithc at like a parts plus or something of the sort. it cost about 5$ and will fix it permantlyall ya gatta do is basic splicingjust make sure you jsut get one that matahces the functions you need.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…