Illinois Lady Riders... anyone racing in the Dist 17 Hare Scrambles?

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Hey Illinois Lady Riders... anyone racing/raced in the Dist 17 Hare Scrambles?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
MX is my thing, but I've raced the Women's class at some of the Fox Valley hare scrambles (Wedron, IL) over the past few years. Haven't done any others though. Fox Valley usually gets a good turnout, around 10 women a race, come on out! :ride:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I raced Fox Valley with Nikki and Stacy last year. It was a lot of fun. I thought the course was pretty easy (especially compared to the guys course!). I wish we could have made it down there year. OH yeah and MX is also my thing, but I venture into the woods every now and then.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Thank you for the info... I didn't know they had a separate "women's" course, I just assumed there was one course! I am a newbie to racing, my boyfriend bought me a CRF100 in '06 and I rode that for 2 years, then last year I got a CRF150F. We used to ride religiously at Buffalo Range in Ottawa, but they were bought this year, so we decided it was the indication that we should try some races. Our first will be the HS 6/14 at FVOR.

Besides using a camel back (I always do for trail rides) what advice would you give to approaching the race? We have been going down there (to FVOR) to practice on Saturday mornings... does the course include their moto track? I see you both have some serious experience at kicking ass... any tips? Thank you!!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Women race with the thumper class on the West course (over by the big parking lot and the kids MX track). We stay on that side of the access road that runs down to the big MX track. The terrain is easier over there, less hillclimbs, no huge logs, and we don't go through the rock creek. It's mostly quad trails, except for some tighter stuff through the pine trees, which are kinda behind the signup building. A couple of big hills, some smaller ones, a ridge, maybe a couple of muddy spots if it rains a lot before the race, and we go on the kids mx track too (but not the big one). The laps are usually around 7-10 minutes, and we run for 45-60 minutes total.

Tips.... umm, take it slow the first lap and follow the arrows, or follow another rider if you can, as sometimes that makes it easier. If you've played around in the woods at FVOR, you should be pretty prepared for the hare scramble! The thumper guys usually come around to lap us pretty quick, so when you hear/see them coming, just try to give them room. Lots of sections have an inside and out, so you can move over pretty easy. I would also recommend handguards or bark busters, not necessary, but nice to have. Bring duct tape, they will give you a number in the 400's at signup that you can tape to your number plates. Oh yeah, and it's a dead engine start, so wardy will drop his hat, then we all start our bikes and go... or stand there and kick for a while if you're me. :moon:

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Thank you so much Nikki... I was really dying of curiosity to hear what it was like... looks like I better start riding on that side of the park!! We have been practicing mostly on the other side. Great advice... I will take it! Dead start, that's interesting... is it a staggered start? I have electric start on my bike, which I was not jazzed about at first (it makes my 150 weigh more than my man's CR125!!) but I have started to get really used to just pulling in the clutch and hitting a button when I stall out. Picking it up is a son of b, though. Sweet! I look forward to seeing you out there!!

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Thank you! I will definitely give a full report.... we went down to FVOR to practice this morning and it went pretty well. The bigger moto track was super muddy last Saturday and today it was dry and really loose. Needless to say, I will be getting new handle bars and a new clutch lever before the scramble... there was an incident in the woops. The first two woops I launched over like a dream and the third one I totally cased. Like front-tire-meet-face-of-woop, so I am kind of glad that the Women's race hits the mini moto track instead :) LOL!! Even though I was riding on that today and it is not that interesting.

I think that it is really solid advice to try to follow someone to get a feel for the course. Is there practice? Or time to walk the course? I might find that really helpful:) I think a big factor in this Scramble will be weather, when it get's wet down there it is pretty muddy. Definitely looking forward to it!! Medwaste you should try to come to the August Scramble at FVOR!!

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
No, our first time out at the parks this year we went to The Cliffs in Marseilles (on Memorial Day), then the next weekend we hit FVOR.... it was still pretty wet out there then. But I guess I am comparing it to Buffalo Range. Buffalo was a relatively dry park (the woods, at least) even when we had those torrential rains in August, the trails at Buffalo were still mostly dry. There were about 3 main trails that the rain washed through. There was also a large waterfall that took a lot of the rain run-off out of the park and into a creek. I have noticed at FVOR that the water runs down several of the trails (yesterday there were a couple hill trails with running water, nothing major, but a steady stream downhill). I am going to need new back tire before the Scramble... something with bigger nobs. Anyone have the word on a good back tire for a CRF150F?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is a bummer about the buffalo range track. And that Gerhard did not get to go back there and run it. Wet, hit up the sand pit! May 16, we had a weekend meet at FVOR. There was a couple down at the SX track taking pics, and a blond haired female rider, seemingly with a boyfriend in gear also. I could tell they were just getting addicted to our sport also. A hare scramble tire for the 150, you got me there. Way too many variables in track conditions! Good luck in your first race. A summary with pics will be appreciated.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
It is a real bummer about Buffalo :( . That is where I learned to ride and love moto. When we found it was closed we didn't believe it. We drove down there just hoping... That park was so sweet, only dirt bikes, that HUGE sand track, the trails were unmatched--waterfalls, caves, 40 foot rock cliffs--... man, I am going to miss it. Last year I got the 150 and so we went down there more than ever, in hindsight I am really glad we did!! I am still holding out hope, that by some miracle it re-opens.

My man just ordered me a new back tire, handle bars, and clutch lever. So, let's see how long these last!! :rotfl:

Are you racing in the 6/15 HS at FVOR? It will be mine and my boyfriend's first race so....I'll definitely post a full report... maybe with some video too!! I guess one good thing has come out of Buffalo closing, it pushed us into doing scrambles!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No HS's for me, yet. Nikki's racing? I like MX, ALOT dang it! They only do 2 laps or something like that though? Evil temptations for sure! Not to mention, when I hit up Ottawa, Ma always makes me a chocolate cake!

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
I think Nikki is racing, she said she would see me out there.... I think she is using the HS as conditioning? I can see how it would be good endurance training. Ladies race for an hour, guys go for 2... I think. I have never raced before (on a bike), so I am just looking for some fun. Placing would be great, but really I want to have a fun, safe time. I have ridden mostly trails, mostly at Buffalo, for the last 3 years (this is my 4th summer on a bike), so I am still new to the sport with plenty to learn:) I am really excited to see where I stand in competition and to feel the thrill of the race. But I must admit that it is pretty intimidating going up against a 4 time mx champ! I am ready to progress my skill level though, and this seems like a solid start:)

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Wow! That HS was awesome!! What a great time! I would definitely recommend that everyone should do at least one before they die! Everyone was really nice and friendly (probably one of my favorite parts of moto) I was so nervous at the start line I thought I was going to yack in my helmet. That nervousness lasted all the way through the first two laps. We went for 45 minutes, which was just long enough to totally exhaust me! I am really proud of myself for just finishing the race, but apparently I got 7th out of 9? I don't even know how that happened. I thought I got dead last! On my last lap I managed to bury my back tire up to the axle.... I thought it was all over for me. Then--out of nowhere-- this AWESOME guy came up behind me and lifted my bike out of the mud (whoever you are mystery man.... THANKYOU!!!!!!!!) I dumped my bike so many times I lost count, but the adrenaline was pumping enough to pick up. I think a lighter bike would be helpful (maybe a dry cell battery for my starter?) I got new tires before the race, and it was soooo wet that I am really glad I had the extra torque. I tried to pull to the side for the Thumper guys... and all the ladies who were coming up on me.... I was just trying to get out of the way for the people who knew what they were doing!:) LOL

Fox Valley Off Road runs a great Scramble! I will see what pictures I have to post!!

Thank you Niki for all the advice at the start! What makes a true Champion is great sportsmanship, and you certainly do not lack any of that!!

I will definitely be doing the August 2nd Scramble!! After plenty more practice!!!

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Wasn't that a BLAST! You are definitely right about helpful and friendly people at these events. Describe the course to me. Were there alot of tight woods or hills, was the mx part easy? Now that you've got the 1st one out of the way, how are you going to train for the next one?

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
It was a great course, challenging considering it was the Thumper course! It was composed of mostly tight, tight turns, with a several of the turns having trees on their corners (I got up close and personal with some of the trees... I actually got a little pine tree wedged between my front fender and tire on the first lap because I over shot the turn). There were two up hill sections and two downhill sections. The downhill sections weren't too bad-- even though it was wet-- the up hills were pretty sweet. One was clear cut all the way up, the other up hill incorporated a turn and had a foot and a half tall tree root (right after the turn). On 6 laps I only stalled once on the up hill (thank GOD for electric start). It was pretty muddy, which added an extra challenge. I slid out at least a dozen times. It took me about 3 laps to figure out how fast I should go into the turns (which, like i said before were tight). Did I mention that it was muddy? I like the mud (a lot) when I am riding for fun and no one is timing me... but when I am going for speed I kind of find the slippery mud to be frustrating, but I guess it adds that extra challenge? There was one spot full of mud and I took a great line through it the first 5 laps, but on the last lap I (for some stupid reason) decided I would try a new line (I didn't know it was the last lap) and I buried my back tire up to the top of the chain. Out of nowhere this nice nice nice man came and pulled my tire out. I am so grateful for that! All I wanted to do was finish the race, and he made it possible!! The MX track was the easiest part of the race by far (at least I think it was) Each time I popped out of the woods and onto that track I got about 35 seconds of relief, then back to the woods. The MX part was on the kiddie MX track, so it was mellow. The guy's MX track had them going through the whoops, but even their course through the big MX track was pretty mellow. The rest of their course was crazy! My man got lost in his race and cut the track on the 2nd lap, which I think really cost him from placing higher (they deduct a lap if you cut the track:( The Thumper track was exceedingly well marked, nearly impossible to get lost. But I think the guy's course was a little more open and easy to lose sight of the trail.

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. We need to start running, and it is totally official that I need to quit smoking! I have been planning on it for quite some time and this race just really showed me that smoking is holding me back. I was a distance runner in High School and doing a HS is about as exhausting as a 5 mile run at race pace. So quitting smoking is the first thing. Running for conditioning is the second thing. Also, next time we are going to run stop watches for each other and stand at the check point with a dry erase board so that we can know what our time is and what lap we are on, I think it would help. Knowing that the last lap is the last lap would be key. All in all it was awesome. Everyone was so nice and friendly. It was really motivating to hear people yelling for me at the checkpoint and even strangers cheering me on made me go faster! I think that FVOR runs a great event and I would definitely recommend their races to beginners and veterans alike. I am going to try to get some pictures up this weekend (sorry it is taking me forever!!). So Medwaste maybe we will see you in August!!!:)

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
The course sounded great. I would love to do that one. I need to work on riding in sand, I'm way too slow. And cornering. And downhills always look a mile long to me. I think I got more riding in in April this year, it's been so wet in Michigan. Right now, this is the 3rd day without power at our house. But I am going to ride somewhere today so I'll be feeling better soon. How about bicycling for conditioning?

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Well, there was no sand in our track, so you won't have to worry about that. I know what you mean about the sand. I used to loathe riding in it because I just dumped the bike every time. My boyfriend kept on telling me I had to go faster through it, I keot telling him that just meant i would dump it harder..... turns out he was right. Going faster through the sand and keeping most of my weight on the back tire made riding in the sand much easier. Plus, a CRF100F is just not the optimal bike for sand. When I got the 150 I noticed that the extra torque really helped my cause in the sand. But like I said, no sand on the Thumper track at FVOR. Cornering, for this race, was important. I over shot all of the turns the first couple laps. They were tight, which is kind of the fun of it..... there were not too many points in the race where you could hold the bike wide open, there was a lot of shifting and clutch work. I know how you feel about the downhills. I always want to go down them really slow, and when I do I just end up eating it. I realized if I went a little faster down the hill my momentum would carry to through safely. My boyfriend was right, faster is easier:) Sorry about the no power! Yikes! At least you can still rip your bike!! It has been a really wet year!! I am just happy nothing flooded our house, yet. I think bicycling would be great conditioning, I was thinking of running and swimming too. Any all body work out is going to be helpful. It is really exhausting, but exhilarating too. I was just proud of myself for finishing!! I hope you can make it in August!!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hey Jen - nice meeting you and Reid at FVOR!! You did so awesome for your first race, way to go!!! That course was pretty fun, but I had a heck of a time on that uphill with the turn and roots at the top! Man, I got through there okay the first couple of laps, but after that, forget it!! But it was still a lot of fun, always a good challenge! I bet you're excited for the next one? Hopefully it won't rain for like a week straight before it! What did Reid think of the guy's course, through the rock creek and over the big finish line logs and stuff?

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
Nikki, it was great to meet you too! I had a blast doing the FVOR scramble.... exhausting, but a lot of fun. We are doing the HS this Sunday too, are you? My goal, again, is to finish:) Looks like it should be a little bit more dry than last time, hopefully. I ate dirt so many times!! I should really post a picture of what my handle bars looked like after that race, they were like a curly cue!! I got a new set of Pro Tapers that should survive a a few more intense crashes. Reid loved the men's course. He cut the course on the first lap and got penalized for a lap, so he is excited to see where he places this time. I think he needs a 250 or a 450, the 125 just isn't giving him the power he needs. Hope we see you Sunday!!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep, we'll be there tomorrow! We picked up a used CRF150R and CRF150F, so I will be giving the 150R a try in the woods, hopefully it will be a little better for me that the big 250F. And Red is gonna race the 150F in the Thumper class, which will be his first HS ever. So it should be fun! I hope they didn't get the rain there that we've had today. See ya tomorrow! :ride:

Top Bottom