RECENT POSTS

illinois speed limit with trailer?

motometal

Lifetime Sponsor
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
2,682
Likes
3
#1
in illinois, there are signs posted speed limit 65, but then only 55 for trucks, campers, trailers. There seems to be some debate on what qualifies as a "trailer", does this mean 18 wheeler trailer or what? We will have the typical dirt biker enclosed, 8 x 10 trailer. 55 or 65 ?
 

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
8,063
Likes
11
#2
I hauled everything from 21' travel trailers to 45' 5th wheels through Illinois all winter at 70 and never got stopped, most semi's were passing me if I did less than 70.
 

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
5,546
Likes
1
Location
Amo, IN
#3
motometal said:
in illinois, there are signs posted speed limit 65, but then only 55 for trucks, campers, trailers. There seems to be some debate on what qualifies as a "trailer", does this mean 18 wheeler trailer or what? We will have the typical dirt biker enclosed, 8 x 10 trailer. 55 or 65 ?

18 wheelers fall into the "Truck" category.

Your 8x10 is a trailer.. Guess what 55 for you.

Split speed limits suck. I hate them, Illinois is one of the worst states with them.
 
Joined
Oct 20, 2000
Messages
2,967
Likes
0
#4
Chili said:
I hauled everything from 21' travel trailers to 45' 5th wheels through Illinois all winter at 70 and never got stopped, most semi's were passing me if I did less than 70.
They just figured that you wouldn't pay the ticket anyway so why bother?
 

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
Joined
Nov 22, 2000
Messages
4,392
Likes
0
#7
Illinois pulled me over and gave me a warning ticket when I drove through with a 3-rail trailer. I was going 58 in a 55.
 

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
5,546
Likes
1
Location
Amo, IN
#8
JuliusPleaser said:
Illinois pulled me over and gave me a warning ticket when I drove through with a 3-rail trailer. I was going 58 in a 55.

Must have been scary to have the entire state pull you over?
 
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,130
Likes
2
Location
Merrillville,Indiana
#9
When I was younger,going to southern Miss with my parents,my dad would change plates in KY,further south and YOU GOT PULLED OVER,BOY!Maybe its payback time!10 over usually does not bring the ticket,other things will!Illinoise has had them warning signs about cameras for sometime now,and I really hope their i-pass can read out of state plates,yet.Their dummies in the car was best,no donuts or coffee!
 

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
1,207
Likes
0
#10
i pulled my 8x16 enclosed through Il on the way to AZ at about 75-80mph, had no issues