I'm About To Buy My First Bike???

hiho

May 3, 2004
Buying My First Bike???Help Please???Yz 125

hi,
Im from Alberta, Canada and I'm about to buy a 1993 yz 125, off a friend for $700cnd which is extremly cheap. I know some of the basics but what are a few main things i should get checked before i actually buy it?????It's all bored out and extremly clean looking but im just wondering why he is selling it so cheap.
Anything you could say would be extremly helpful

Last edited:

kx134

May 4, 2004
some things to start with

1.realize that a bored over 125 will require frequent maintenance for things like gaskets, rings, and pistons. Expect to have to do the top end about every 20 hours of riding or so.
2.a 93 is pretty old, see if the machine has had top ends since the bore over, also see why the bike was bored over in the first place, ie was it seized or what? I ride a bored out kx and it is very fast and I haven't had problems with it, but it was professionally done...
3.check the shape of the wheels, any cracked rims, does it need tires, do the brakes work well?

some things to start with, a bored out 125 will always require more maintenance than a stock one, so be prepared. How much is 700 canadian?

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
I like to check compression in engine (should be 130-150 PSI). Also check bearings in wheels (shouldn't wobble side to side) in streering stem (smooth action, no clunking), and in linkage (back end should move freely). Check for any oil leakage around forks and shock. Check chain and sprocket for wear. After engine is warm, check for any leakage around radiator. Clutch should engage and disengage easily, and gears should shift easily.

A bike this old is obviously going to have some of these things worn, but at least then you will have an idea what you will be spending in the near future.

Then buy some safety gear and have fun :aj: !!

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
look around the case to see if u can spot any damage, like a crack-see if he has a manual to it-see what kind of mix he was using, and the ratio of the mix-and if this is your first bike, buy u a good helmet-i learned on a stock yz125-busted my ace plenty of time-but it comes with it-and most important have fun

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Also, check the condition of the nuts and bolts. If they are rounded and in bad shape, it could be an indication of the maintenance habits of the person who owned the bike. Someone who takes care to maintain these items will usually be one who maintains there bike well. A bike of that age could have a couple bad ones, but the previous posts all mentioned good points so I am just adding to their thoughts.

Randy

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
After it was bored, was it replated? A '93 should have Nicl or similar I think. If it was replated the maintanance should be similar to stock. Also you better see if overbore pistons are still available for that year model. Don't just look in a Weisco catalog and get a part #, actualy call and see if they have it in stock, or even still make it. After about ten years some part #'s are discontinued, especialy hop-up stuff. Good luck and have fun.

hiho

May 3, 2004
Thanks for the help

thanks alot.
i'm getting it professionaly checked.(dad's orders) Picking it up on the 2nd of June. :thumb: :yeehaw: :laugh:
I'm gettin' new boots, gloves, helmet and chest guard, hopefully i won't kill my self before summer starts.

Top Bottom