I'm back and I need a license plate!!!

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Hey Ol89'er, et. al. It's been a crazy year or so, and I haven't been around these parts for some time. New job, new house, new road bike, etc. Ended up selling the trusty KX after my friend broke his femur, for those of you that remember that horror. After defecting to the dark (asphalt) side for a while, I'm back!!! Went up to the WORCS race in Taft this last weekend, and it made me realize how much I miss riding off-road. So I'm bike hunting, and seriously thinking about doing a baja designs conversion to a thumper of some sort, since I want a real dirt bike, but with a plate. Looked at the DR-Z400S, and XR650L, but from what I've read, the engines are not as good as their dirty siblings. How about a WRF450 or just a YZF450, etc made street legal? Problem is I can't find a listing of what can, and can't, be converted here in CA. Model years allowed, etc. I am hoping you folks can help provide some info on what I can search for without any nasty surprises later. Carlo, any input? Thanks to any and all info thrown this way. Ride safe, ...N

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Thanks Ivan, I appreciate that. Sorry for the dupes, but I need info so I can buy, buy, buy this weekend! Please feel free to delete any time. I know you would anyway! ;) ...N

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
a guy that used to work for my dad bought a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 enduro tye of bike that he rode to work almost every day. until it got stolen off his trailer. then he went out and bought another bike. my neighbour rides an 04 YZ450F and he likes it but he says its too heavy for him. so he wants to downsize to a KTM 250-300 EXC. not sure why because he traded in his 250 for the 450.....

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
you are right the crf is a much better bike.call and talk to baja designs they have real people to talk to.you can also register it in another state call them.your other option is to by one with a plate already on it used,they are out thier and usually go for a grand more than one with out light kit and plate.have fun

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Man what a lousy selection of used bikes this last weekend... Everyone wants top dollar for thrashed machines. It's hard for me to buy something in worse condition than I'll ever let it get! Think I'll just buy new, probably a DR-Z400S, but maybe an XR650L. Haven't decided yet since I haven't ridden the 'zook yet. ...N

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I know that if you by a bike titled in another state, such as in michigan, you can transfer it there in cali, there are lot of guys who title them here such a yz,cr 250's, ktms, etc.. You can always have it shipped via forwardair for like 200.00, check out the ama district classifed here....
http://www.ama-d14.org/classifieds.php
Just thought this may help.

Top Bottom