Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Ladies,
I'm so excited that I can hardly wait until July 7-8. I signed up to attend the Trials Training Center in Tennessee. I decided to buy a trials bike last year in about September and have been playing around on it and having lots of fun. I am looking so forward to learning proper technique and new skills to help my KTM riding skills.

I spoke with Nicole (Girlrider) the end of April and she suggested that I attend because it helped improve her skills. And what a dream that would be for me to ride like Nicole! I also got to meet a great trials rider by the name of Kerrie. It was great to see both these gals who were so comfortable with their bikes.

Is there anyone else who would like to join me in Tennessee at the same time? It would be great fun to meet some of you gals in person in Tennessee!

Let me know!

Lisa
KTM 200 E/XC

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I don't know if it's a possibility this summer but I do plan on attending one of these schools. I think Steve would be jazzed to go too. Tell me what it's like and take lots of pictures! After watching Balancing Act, I have a lot more respect for trials riders (although there's as much chance of me ever doing that stuff as there is of me beating Jeremy McGrath at Supercross). Learning to do that kind of thing would help my riding skills immensely and I'd love to do it. What's their website address?

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I just want to tell everyone again that this place is GREAT! My husband and I took a trip to the Bahama's one year and it was okay, then last year we decided to do this and both agreed it was a lot more fun. The website is www.trialstrainingcenter.com. If you go be sure to play with Tori the cool one-eyed dog. He even goes out a keeps an eye on you when you are learning. Both Laura and Tony are great teachers. Not to mention the price is very reasonable.

Trialwench

Dec 13, 2000
Leapin
I got all your stuff and i'm really looking forward to meeting you in July. We guarantee your riding will improve tremendously after doing the 2 day Trials, Cross-training 101 School. Hey, you need to start signing your name with your trials bike on there too!! see ya soon

Trialwench

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Trialwench:

Cycle Hutt, the shop in Bismarck that I bought my trials bike from, put together what they called a "Trials Clinic" last week Sunday. They put the advertisement on their website and posted some flyers around, but mostly it was word of mouth that got the message around about the clinic.

We had 15 individuals compete! (That's a lot of people for our area, believe me) Some people came from Fargo that morning which is 200 miles away. I was so impressed with the amount of people who were willing to at least try to ride the course even though they had never ridden a trials bike before, ever. Dave and I allowed whoever wanted to ride, to compete on our GasGas trials bikes, and the 321 and 280 were running constantly. I believe that there were also quite a few people who came out to just observe the event. I was pretty busy scoping out what I was to ride next that I didn't pay much attention to who was all there. It was held at the motocross track, so even the motocross riders had to stop riding and watch for a bit, too! I am hoping that this will be yearly event in Bismarck.

There was a vintage class and I got to see a beautiful "cherry condition" Bultaco, a Honda and a Yamaha compete. I believe that everyone had a great time and are looking forward to another event like this. The camaraderie was terrific.

I believe I mentioned to everyone that I wanted to do this again about July 15th or so because that would be after I went to the Trials Training Center and learned all about the proper techniques! I have to say, I did get lots of compliments about it being great to see a girl riding. My husband told me he even overheard someone say that I had more guts than some of the guys out there. :P

I met a guy named Dave from Wyoming who -- I believe -- is the National Amateur Trials Champion. He handed out some packets about trials clinics that are held in the Wyoming area which I was thrilled to hear about.

As you can probably tell, I am really fired up about coming down to your training center. The only thing I really, really have to work on is getting that 280 to start cold. I have tried, but don't seem to have the technique to do it. I have fallen over and gotten pretty upset because the kick starter has so much compression that I have trouble getting it to even move. The thing is, once it is started and warmed up, I can get it started after that. It's just that first kick of the day. I have to admit, though, I haven't tried your suggestion of leaning against a tree yet. Pretty soon I'm going to strap some weights on myself and see if the extra weight will help!

Lisa
99 KTM 200 E/XC
00 Gas Gas 280 Trials

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lisa, let me know how the weights work. Or if you figure any way of starting the bike cold. I can't start our Fantic hot or cold, and have tried the tree, someone holding the bike, boxes, not sure if anything else, it's been ages since I've tried. I get the bike to TDC, then go back to kick it over from the top, hit the compression area, and whoompha, sore ankle as she kicks me back. I haven't tried for a while, I got too demoralised and we don't really have anywhere to ride it in any case (it doesn't do well in sand, but with winter here, would probably be better), so I'm still looking out for another bike for me.
Michelle

Top Bottom