I'm gonna throw up! Really! I'm gonna throw up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I know this will not make sense, since I ride a Japanese bike. But I have to say this. I also know that Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler are not totally made with American products, and that they are not totally made in America. While I write this, I don't know if I want to continue, but I will. People have started putting stickers on their vehicles (don't get me wrong, this is a good thing) with the flag portrayed, or saying "United we Stand". And things of this nature. But alot of these vehicles are Imported ones. I have come close to asking some of them, if that united we stand sticker means. United we stand to support the Japanese? But I have drove into a Foreign car dealer, and told a couple they should buy a American car (nicely). I know that we have plants over here that are building these imported (or would they be called domestic?) cars, by Americans. But how many plants in Japan do you think they have that build American cars over there? And could they have these plants over here, because they have some kind of stipulation on how many cars they can bring in on the boats each year?
I can't say much, because every bike I have ever owned has been foreign. And I do have the choice to buy a American bike. And I haven't. But every car ot truck I've ever owned has been made by Chevy.
I know this topic is a double edged sword, due to the fact that parts for the big 3 come from overseas, or made in Canada, or Mexico. But I can't take it anymore. I have a hard time finding socks that are made in the good old USofA. Did you knoe they had fuel injection in the 50's. But what year was the first year it came stock in a big 3 auto? And in the 70's, when they told the big 3 they had 2 years to get ready for catalytic systems, then said oops better make that 6 months, then all of a sudden here comes boatloads of Japanese cars. What gives?
Man, am I gonna get remmed for bringing up this topic. I think I'ss just hit this back button. Nay, I've gotta vent.
I want out country back! I want to go into a store, shop, market and buy products and say "Hey this bike, or shoes, were made by a American, so I know they are the best." I read a post where a fellow DRN'r said he'll keep forking over his hard earned dollers to the Japanese for his vehicles:eek: . I nearly threw up. Literally! I guess when I read that, that is what broke the camels back for me.
I can't write anymore, after writting about his hard earned dollars. I'm getting sick again. I'll write after a few of you flame me back.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The United We Stand flag in our cars is more of a statement supporting the president in abolashing terrorism then a economic statement

RMrider

~SPONSOR~
Jun 18, 2001
AMEN BROTHER

I agree with Wraith. I've got nothing against the Jappenese as a people or a culture. I also understand that they build very high quality cars and trucks(suv's). But we dont need to be sending our hard earned cash overseas. Its true that alot of the foreign car companies build a large number of thier cars here in the US, but the mother company is still in Japan and thats where the money is headed. Its great that thousands of Americans have jobs here in the US working for Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. . . We even have a Mitsubishi factory right here in central Illinois(Bloomington/Normal) which if it hasnt changed in the last few years is where the Eclipse is built. If Americans bought more true American cars there would still be the same number of our fellow citizens employed in the auto industry, they would just be working for Ford, GM, or Daimler Chrystler. The money we spend on American products is money the stays in America. People have this false impresion that foreign cars are higher quality. sorry folks. not true. America builds automobiles that are neck and neck with thier foreign equivalents. If yorue proud of the great USA you don't have to show it by puting a 50 cent flag sticker on your car (which probably wasnt even made in the US to begin with), but start spending your hard earned AMERICAN DOLLAR on something that is TRUELY AMERICAN. Go out and buy a Ford F-150 or a Chevy Corvette or even a chrystler PT Cruiser, and be proud to own something that is truely American and feel confident that you have helped to put food on the table of another American Family.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
"Hey this bike, or shoes, were made by a American, so I know they are the best."

So it is the best by default if it is made in the USA by a citizen of your country [or a migrant worker from Mexico where the boss is a German :) ] ? That sounds like total arrogance & ignorance if you ask me.

I personally will never in my life buy a car made in the USA. Why ? They are as big as tanks, handle like boats and guzzle gas. Ok, surely not 100% of them but the majority. The quality is also not up to spec with the Jap and Euro cars.

Yes, American cars are available here but very few people buy them. They just dont suite our market & economy. Took a Chrysler Neon for a test drive once, what a piece of junk.

Now before you go labeling me as a anti-american type I can assure you that there are other things that I will buy from the US, but only because they are good.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Wraith,
Ever hear of trade? These nations that import products from actually create jobs for American citizens in the form of trade. We have to trade to create an economic balance with other economic super powers, otherwise we run the risk of collapsing the economies of other export nations. The jobs in America created by our exports, of which American made cars ranks very high, would be lost if we raised tariffs to the point that other nations reduced their exports to the US. Just because it doesn’t say made in America, doesn’t mean the product is taking away US jobs. The fuel you put in your ride has a 70% chance that it came from the middle east, and area we are all watching, maybe you should stop using that! Wake up. You can’t sit in a cocoon all your life, other countries want our technologies, we want theirs.
Dave

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
American cars???
HA! Dont get me started......o.k., im already started.
Things were looking up in the early 80's, what with the new Mustang GT (5.0) and the newly rebodied Camaro/Firebirds.
Plus there was the Hurst-Olds and the famous Buick GrandNational.
Even the Thunderbird looked better than it had in over 15 years.
Then we hit the mid nineties...........
The Mustang not only got ugly and heavier, it got that ridiculous modular V8 that you need a degree in computer technology to work on it.
Ford killed the Thunderbird.
(and whatever happened to their front drive supercar, the Taurus SHO???)
Chevy Axed the Camaro/Firebird.
and then thers the Aztec / Avalanche (i wanna style cars like they did in "Mad Max"!!!) fiasco.........
Not to mention Ford's latest "cutting edge" styling.
(whomever suggested that styling should be "cut" in my opinion.)
Chrysler almost got one. (P.T.Cruiser) but they added too many doors and forgot the V8 engine..........
Right now if i HAD to buy a NEW car, it probably would be japanese.
(if it was a truck that'd be a different story.)
Hyundai has some nice offerings. (the Sonata, and SantaFe come to mind)
Subaru has the Outback and that wonderfull new Impreza WRX.
Nissan has their Skyline.........er well i guess they arent importing that one right now huh?? (GOSH DANG IT!!)

Whatever college "wonderboys" that the domestic big three hired in the mid/late ninetys to engineer and design their products........they NEED to get them OUT!

PS: At least Ford brought back our beloved T-Bird. And a 2 seater V8 no less!!! Come on detroit, take the hint!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
While I totally agree, unfortunately, most Americans don't think like you and I, OnAnySunday! They all want a different type of impractical vehicle, a truck or a sport utility vehicle (these two term are NOT interchangeable, but I won't rant on that for now).

I have one of the last Mustangs made with the 5.0 and love it...great car. Had my share of Camaros and Firebirds too, also great cars but with a few more rattles and squeeks:p .

Yes, no doubt the Aztek is really, really ugly. What are people thinking? I personally don't care for the PT either, but I can at least see why some people would like it....Aztek...yuk!

Whatever happened to the days when a family would have a car, and a truck if needed. This could be just an old clunker to get by, or a newer one...if you need to haul bikes or brush or whatever, you use the truck, if you need to haul people, you use the car. So, since most of the time you don't need the truck, the car is used with the obvious benefits of better gas mileage, easier parking, etc. etc.

In Europe, sport utility vehicles are few and far between...if you do see one it is probably owned by an American that moved there.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic...

needsprayer

Oct 24, 2001
International corporations. What are they? Big companies that are everywhere. Many originated in America. Why? Because more markets mean more stability. Buy American!!! American what? A label "Made in USA",doesn't mean what you think it means.

Try to look past the limits of your town.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by OnAnySunday
Then we hit the mid nineties...........
The Mustang not only got ugly and heavier, it got that ridiculous modular V8 that you need a degree in computer technology to work on it.

Chrysler almost got one. (P.T.Cruiser) but they added too many doors and forgot the V8 engine..........

appearance is just a matter of opinion. personally, i think the mid-nineties to present mustangs are the best looking since the late sixties fast backs. i think the pt cruisers are hideous.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
You can’t sit in a cocoon all your life, other countries want our technologies, we want theirs.
Dave

No kidding they want our technologies. How many countries have we sold our military aircraft technology to? Don't tell me about trade. I want everyone to go around there house, and pick up everything that is in there house to read where it was made in. And take the percentage they come up. Then find a penpal in every major land mass and tell them to take a percentage of everything they own American made and I would bet that you would have to combine all of there percentages to equal yours.
Reon, you can't knock a Neon. I mean look at your name, change one word and YOU are the Neon.
Quote: Reon
So it is the best by default if it is made in the USA by a citizen of your country [or a migrant worker from Mexico where the boss is a German ] ? That sounds like total arrogance & ignorance if you ask me. Quote:
Reon I've dealt with you before, and no offense but it would help if you were American, to somewhat understand where I am coming from. It would be the best, because every factory worker I know or work with, take pride in there work. And made good quality products. I was just refering to the point where the one guy thought he had to give his money to Japan for their cars because our were not any good.

And I'm getting the responces that I thought I would. This is why it is the way it is people. What are our kids going to have? people say
American what?
These nations that import products from actually create jobs for American citizens in the form of trade.
I personally will never in my life buy a car made in the USA.

This is what got us here in the first place. We sold our own damn country. And nobody gives a ****.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I bought a Tahoe last year & recently purchased a new Silverado...but I didn't buy these vechicles because 'they are made in the USA'. I bought them because they suited my needs. The Tahoe fits all the family (5 of us), the truck fits me & the bike :)

I agree with 96whyzee125 's post, trade is key. Heck, it seems like anymore we're moving towards a world-wide economy, the barriers of borders have been crumbling for years.

Matt

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Originally posted by Wraith
People have started putting stickers on their vehicles (don't get me wrong, this is a good thing) with the flag portrayed, or saying "United we Stand". And things of this nature. But alot of these vehicles are Imported ones. I have come close to asking some of them, if that united we stand sticker means. United we stand to support the Japanese? -------- I'll write after a few of you flame me back.

With the exception of maybe China, every country we trade with is considered an ally that stands united with us in the war against terrorism.
So in that regard patriotism extends beyond our borders.
I have reservations on many trade issues like NAFTA and exporting jobs, but
with sound trading partners, our economy flourishes as well as theirs.
Pssst, I'll let you in on a secret ---- everyone claims that the Japanese just drains money from the USA. Great Britain owns more interests in this country than Japan but we never hear about that. :think

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
. . . Whatever happened to the days when a family would have a car, and a truck if needed. This could be just an old clunker to get by, or a newer one...if you need to haul bikes or brush or whatever, you use the truck, if you need to haul people, you use the car. So, since most of the time you don't need the truck, the car is used with the obvious benefits of better gas mileage, easier parking, etc. etc.
I choose to have some decent rigs for myself and my wife. And either rig (the Tahoe or the Pickup--Don't get me started on the pickup vs. truck thing :debil: ) can do the towing needed. Sometimes it's just my bike, or my quad (pickup) or sometimes it's all of us (the Tahoe and a trailer).

There's more important things than gas mileage. And I'm no fan of the furren rigs, owned one (the biggest mistake of my life, and the wife's idea!). Heck, all I'll own is a Chevrolet, since I understand them best.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
People have this false impresion that foreign cars are higher quality. sorry folks. not true. America builds automobiles that are neck and neck with thier foreign equivalents.

You really wanna vomit some more? Go test drive a Honda Accord, then a Monte Carlo or other American equivalent. You surely will vomit. There's no comparison. I believed American quality was up there as well, until I did something similar to that.

And I hate to say it, too. Because I'm a GM fan, and don't own a Japanese car. I do it because I prefer to support GM, but know that a Toyota pickup is probably better-made than my Z-71. On the other hand, I don't blame others for buying a superior product. Just depends on the degree of your dedication to the thought of buying an American produced auto, I guess.

So if you're brought to regurgitation by the thought of Jap cars, why DON'T you buy a 'dale? Just keep in mind that some Japanese will give upwards of 50 grand for a Harley. Now that's something to be kind of proud of.:) It goes both ways.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
That's the whole problem, people don't care about mileage, pollution, waste, etc. They want what they want because they want it, because their neighbor has one. The wife wants an SUV instead of a van because it makes her look cooler, younger, we have a family but don't want to look like we have a family, it's sportier, whatever. Gotta have 4 wheel drive, then when the roads actually get slippery "oh, I don't want to leave the house, the roads are dangerous".

Gotta sit up high, to look cool, and feel like I own the road. Gotta sit up at least as high as my neighbors SUV. I look cool, and I feel like I could run over stuff, and it wouldn't matter, but I don't want to try it...might pop a tire. No way I'm driving my $35,000 suv/truck off road, no matter what the cheesy stickers on the side of it say...that might hurt it, or evey if it doesn't I might get it dirty... Sitting up high is cool. Oops, I rolled my SUV, I'm suing the pants off of Ford...it's their fault. What do you mean by "center of gravity"? I thought gravity was everywhere, not just in the center? Gotta have the big motor, can't get left behind at the stoplight. Make sure there's a big emblem or sticker so everyone knows. Words like "magnum" and "Z-anything" are cool. The magnum means my 360 dodge was designed in the 60's and gets single digit mileage. I think the Z thing means my shocks are stiffer than yours. My truck rides like a lumber wagon, but I don't care...my heavy shocks and "Z" stickers are cool anyway.

Hmmm...I don't ever put much of anything in the back of this truck 'cept an occasional loaf of bread or gallon of milk...better get one of those covers for it so that something doesn't accidently fall into the box of the truck...can't put anything in there, it might scratch the paint. :)

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Wraith you could spend half your life trying to buy the 'right' products but still fail and get all worked up in the process.You are confusing the issue of standing together as nations and you own protectionistic ways.If we all thought the same way we would have no diversity and monolopies everywhere and all you would have is less choice and higher prices.Free trade is the only way and we all benefit buy having the choice of products we want.IMO buying a jap car/bike doesnt make you less of a citizen it just means you are excercising you right as a consumer.Choice is good-no choice is very bad.

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
Let's face it, we live in a global economy. The whole buy an American car argument is a non-issue. Does it really matter to the factory worker putting food on his family's table that the money comes from working in a Honda plant or a Chevy plant? What's the difference? Do you think GM and Ford exec's care any more for their factory workers than Honda or Toyota's? Why should anybody buy an inferior product just because you think it will benefit the economy more? People pay the same taxes on a Daewoo as they do on a Mercedes, (percentage wise anyway). It stimulates the economy in the same way through accessory sales, dealership support, service, etc. I choose to drive a BMW because it's better than any other car in it's class, to me at least, nothing drives like a BMW. I've owned 2 Fords, 5 GM's, and a Japanese SUV-drove like crap but lasted forever. I also have a Chevy Trailblazer right now that I love. If you really want to vomit come to Washington DC. If you're actually from this company you are far outnumbered by immigrants here. That's what I find disgusting is how people make there money back home, then come here and suck up local jobs, housing, education, etc. But, we've got no one to thank but ourselves. This will continue to happen until Americans get educated, and get motivated to compete on the world stage, rather than worry about non-issues like where their car was made!

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
Oops-company=country. My brain got ahead of my fingers!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
:) moto. . .exactly!

The Japanese kicked our asses back in the late 70's and early 80's. We needed it. Detroit was churning out hideous, inefficient, poorly designed cars, and took a real beating from Japan and Germany.

That's a GOOD thing. A market-driven economy will always separate the winners from the losers. Detroit stepped up its game in the 90's, and now they offer the best trucks/SUVs in the world. Their cars aren't quite as good, but Detroit knows where the demand (and profit) is. It's trucks! We aren't being beat by the Japs. We just keep moving the playing field.

Have you been to a new car lot lately? One of my local Chevy dealers has an inventory that's 70% trucks. NOBODY wants a car any more.

The Camaro / Firebird are going away because nobody buys them.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
wow, I just read my own post (or somewhat off-topic rant). What's wrong with me?

I'm off to the garage to play with power tools...:p

needsprayer

Oct 24, 2001
Motometal rant

Hey, I liked your rant. It was logical and humorous. Be careful playing with power tools when your thinking so hard. ;)

My car is a '86 Mercury Lynx with 194,000 miles. It has a a front license plate that reads "Answer My Prayer, Steal This Car". So far no takers. :confused:

I say drive'em till they die. :)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
and "Z-anything" are cool. The magnum means my 360 dodge was designed in the 60's and gets single digit mileage. I think the Z thing means my shocks are stiffer than yours. My truck rides like a lumber wagon, but I don't care...my heavy shocks and "Z" stickers are cool anyway.

I love it when people show their true breadth of character and deep understanding of the universe as it is.

You'll notice I'm not from the burbs and have been driving pickups on the farm since I could reach the pedal and see over the dash at the same time. I use the "Z" as you call it, as much off-road (sandhills/dunes mainly) on the old man's farm as I do my bike.

Cheers.:silly:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Wraith you could spend half your life trying to buy the 'right' products but still fail and get all worked up in the process.You are confusing the issue of standing together as nations and you own protectionistic ways.If we all thought the same way we would have no diversity and monolopies everywhere and all you would have is less choice and higher prices.Free trade is the only way and we all benefit buy having the choice of products we want.IMO buying a jap car/bike doesnt make you less of a citizen it just means you are excercising you right as a consumer.Choice is good-no choice is very bad.

Exactly, Marcus. Succinct, true nail-on-the-head stuff. Totally agree.

KTMhornmono

Feb 3, 2002
stickers

Kinda turned into a rant about which car is best, eh?

For the original subject, I agree, and am glad I am not the only one who has been thinking of this. I found it irritating how everyone jumps on the bandwagon when it is fashionable. How many of these people were insulting **** about the election and his bad improvised speaking habits, only to turn around and rally when we are attacked? Did he suddenly change into a different person, or did it take something like that to make people realize leadership ability is a little more important than being slick in front of cameras, like a certain used-car-salesman who whore (sorry, "worked") there before?

And if all these people swear they are so patriotic, where were their 50-cent flag stickers before the 11th? Did they suddenly notice this country kicks ass, or did they want to project the image that are like everyone else? If they want to appear to be the perfect American, shouldn't they appear to drive a domestic car?

I kow this pisses some people off, but so what. I drive a Ford, along with 4 other Fords in my immediate family, but it is because they are popular cars for a reason, and if I was to buy a new car it would be another Honda. I do not run a flag sticker now. What would make me proud of this government enough to show my endorsement would be them making a swift and bloody retalitation, and to hell with political correctness. Mr. **** has taken a huge step in that direction, and I have little faith any other candidate would have had the balls to do what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom