LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hiller, I wouldn't recommend going from a TTR125L to a KTM200, too big of a step. I'm 5'3" and have been riding for several years. I had my KTM shortened an inch, and it helps out in the tight stuff.

Maybe try her on a KX100 or XR200. Yeah, I know the XR200s are big heavy pigs, I used to have one. But they are as close to a "full size" bike as you can get without the intimidation of the "full size" power. KDX is an option as well, but they have a higher seat than the XR200.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Even after that whole thread debating the pro's and con's of the KX versus the KTM, I really haven't discounted the KTM as the next step ESPECIALLY after this weekend's ride.

This time, I tried (with some success and some failure) to keep up with a group of a dozen spodemen on big bikes for 105 miles on the infamous intermediate/expert trails at Taylor Park. One fellow at 5'4" rode a stock YZ426F. He explains that it's light, flickable, and has the power and suspension needed to get over the tough stuff. He couldn't even tippy toe so that's more than I'd commit to, but he was great on the trail.

This got me to thinking... If I were a guy, why wouldn't I just hop up to the KTM? Well I would, of course. So what's the difference? My though is the tendancy for guys to be a little more aggressive in their riding style. I'm speaking about myself here, so please don't think I'm speaking about all female riders. So my thought is that if your wife is an aggresive rider, Hiller, maybe the swap up to the KTM could work just fine.

Looking at the facts, I'm a trail spode and the KTM has a stock power band to facilitate more low-end torque, which is key for trails. I've also researched that, between the suspension settings and seat, the KTM can be lowered five inches. That puts it well within the height range of somebody who's 5'3". (That may still be pushing for me, but what isn't? And who know's if I'm aggresive enough to make the jump work anyhow; some days yes, some days no way.)

OK, I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, these are just some thoughts I was having this weekend. I'm babbling now. I'll stop.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
CJ,

I don't want to say anything bad about the KTM but I will flat out be honest by telling you I think the Gas Gas is a better bike for you than the KTM. First the Gas Gas is actually a little bit smaller all the way around. Second the suspension is much better and easier to set up for a smaller person. It is about the same weight but when you ride the 2 you will find the Gas Gas feels lighter. It has a smooooooother power delivery and that makes it easier to ride. It basically cost's the same with better components. Has a 3.1 Gallon tank but does not look like it. (KTM only has a 3.2) If you had the suspension modified for your height you would love it. My friend who is the most brand loyal person rides a KTM and after riding my Gas Gas and seeing how much faster I am on it she even considered a GG but she rides trials so really didn't want to spend any money on an enduro bike. Right now she rides my 98 KTM I sold her. You are more than welcome to ride mine. It is a 250 but my husband has the 200. Tell me a weekend and I can probably make it work. I will bring the trials bikes too!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Now I’ve heard the Gas Gas is smaller but the two I have sat on (one EC200, one XC 200) were the same. My KTM was 36.4” from the factory (don’t know now with sag and PDS#0 spring, and broken in). What is the Gas Gas’s seat height from the factory? The KTMs can be pipey. The Gas Gas I rode in Reno seemed pipey at the time (compared to the 250 two-strokes I had ridden up to that point), but that was a while ago, and long before I’d bought my KTM. I’d be interested to compare the two now.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
FC22- OK here comes a silly question... what is "pipey"?

Girlrider- Interesting thoughts on Gas Gas... 'didn't even think to research those. Thanks so much for the offer! What do the weekend of either Sept 22-23 or Sept 29-30 look like for you?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Pipey would be peaky, abrupt power, like 125s are known for.

Now here’s a thought for a bike for you—have you ridden a 125 yet? I was always told they suck off road, they’re just track bikes. But I really enjoy riding Steve’s. They’re light and once you learn to use the clutch the way a two-stroke needs to be, they’re not impossible to ride at all. They do take some getting used to and they might be a little more work but they are not as bad as I was told. That is just my opinion—a lot of people hate them. I was surprised at how much fun they are. I was no slower on Steve’s RM or another friend’s YZ than I am on mine. I recently had an opportunity to ride a RM 167—a 125 with a Rick Peterson bore/stroker kit in it. WOW. That was a sweet bike. I expected it to be really pipey but it was smooth, maybe even smoother than my KTM. I would definitely ride one of those again. Maybe not the RM but the 167 kit—I’d like to see what next year’s CR feels like, and that might be my next bike when the KTM gives up the ghost. Don’t get me wrong, I do like my bike—but 125s are fun.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
OK, now I understand "pipey." I always wondered about that. Thanks!

Nope, I haven't tried the 125 yet. HOWEVER, the fellow from the trail ride taught me how to get on and off a big bike without falling over. Will said I could practice that on his DRZ400 so I would feel more confident about just hopping on somebody else's bike. Up to this point I'd just say, "oh that's too tall," and I wouldn't even try.

This brings up something I think bbbom mentioned in the other thread. Trying bikes out many bikes is possibly KEY. You may be surprised that what YOU like may be very different from what somebody else thinks is right for you! HOWEVER, I still think it's really good to ask around, though. I feel really good about and appreciate the information I read here. Especially when folks bring up something I hadn't even considered!

Top Bottom