I'm in love with my gasser EC-200...few queries

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Hi guys, hope ya well,

finally got a Gas Gas EC-200, '06 and 10 hours use, she is simply beuatiful to behold....I had to sleep in the back of my Transit for a night a covered some 800 miles to get the one I wanted but it was sure worth it, if could take her to bed I would...I bought my girlfreind a cruise on the Nile so she won't get too jealous :)

As a Gas Gas rookie I have a few questions, sorry if these are somewhat boring but my handbook is in the post:-

1/ Whats the latest 'fix' on the side stand....hmm it never fails but makes me soooo nervous!

2/ Where does the horn locate...on the small bolt on the top fork yoke?

3/ I can't believe the quality of the headlight, anyone know the bulb type...I'm guessing it's a Halogen of some rating

4/ My old KDX had a snorkel air airlet for crossing streams but these new breed of bikes (most brands nowadays) seem to have forgotten this method of air inlet...is there a mod' around to have a snorkel air inlet?

Cheers guys

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
1) You can try taking a masterlink plate, drilling out one side to fit bolt that mounts the kickstand mount to the frame and attaching the spring to the masterlink plate. I did this and it turns the kickstand into a normal kickstand, but the spring is a little two short. I've broken two springs and finally decided to hell with it and took the kickstand off.

2) On my 2001 model the horn was mounted behind the headlight. I've stripped the wiring and lights to just a high/low beam headlight now though.

3) Can't help here yet. I'm waiting until the winter to get a new headlight bulb for mine.

4) Break out the silicone and seal the bottom seams of the airbox. I leave mine open though as I don't do huge stream crossings.

Check out www.smackovermotorsports.com and click on the Talking Smack link for a wealth of GasGas info.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Try www.gasgasrider.org

I think there is even a tech article on the Self Retracting Kickstand of Death.

I know nothing about the 200 but really like my Gasser. They have a few annoying things about them but once sorted out make really nice bikes.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Cheers guys,

yup smackover is great for the gasser only boys!

First impressions:

1/ Pilot jet from new is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to large I'm told to change the 52 for a 45...she starts without choke and the idle is well, interesting :nod:

2/ All this talk of strange mix of fastenings...gasgas do it right, why use a heavier 13mm head when a 11mm will do the job, add up all them fittings and this one reason that bike will blow away in a strong wind :nod:

3/ wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that bike turns like my Scott mountain bike yet she is as stable on the gas as an oil tanker :cool:

4/ The exhaust note at idle and when she comes on the power valve is music that even Vivaldi can't hold a candle to :fft:

5/ hmmmmmmmmmmmm

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
One of the questions was asked over on the gasgas rider's club forum recently...

On the issue of the light bulb - it is a 35 watt halogen two filament bulb. You can go to a 45 watt halogen two filament bulb but going larger, like a commonly available 55 watt halogen bulb, will cause the plastic lens to melt.

FYI - I see that for '07 gasgas has gone to an LED taillight, leaving a little more power for the headlight.

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
www.gasgasrider.org

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Hi guys,

...I can actually ride the trails when the sun is going down, that headlight is a revalation after the KDX candle, thanks for the tip on the bulb

....first HnH this Sunday, but have had a nightmare pre-race Friday...
........you know, one of them days when you think "I'd better go back to bed, so I won't break-bend-drop-bang into-loose-hurt my X-strip anything else" I was almost in tears of frustration, the air had a nice azure tinge about the area
so, I will be racing the EC-200 'outa' the box :ohmy:

Mod's to do:

1/ Sag settings if I can find some
2/ Fit a BikeTech (LTR) jetting kit...I now have a 45 pilot but this is still a little too large I feel
3/ Handguards...so I won't break another clutch lever in the back of the Transit....Apico cold forged ones are far far better

cheers

Richard

Top Bottom