trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
It appears to be in good shape. Haven't talked to the owner yet.

Is there anything to beware of on the 95 300exc? What things in particular should I check on this model?

I haven't ridden a 2-stroke since the late '70s, so I'm not up on two-stroke maintenance.

I will be coming off an 85 Honda XL600 and I am 6' 240#. I road a friend's 200exc. It felt tiny compared to my bike (almost too small), but had plenty of power. I ride in the woods but might be interested in hare scrambles or enduros.

Thanks in advance!

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
95 300 is a good model. 93/94 thru to 97 use similar chassis and motor. Torquey easy to use power with plenty of top end when you need it. very linear powerband ie smooth and climbs like a mountain goat. Bad points touchy rear brakes (for me anyway) WP upside down forks which can deflect alot off rocks roots etc (nothing a little setting up cant improve). Also I have found that these models can get water into the motor if you are not diligent and rust out the main bearings. Check all cable entries etc. But my 300's have always been reliable and good fun to ride. 300 is easier than a 250 in my opinion as the extra torque down low helps beginners and lazy boys if they ride a gear too high it can pull you through. Changing gearing from 14/50 to 13/50 is also something you may want to play with.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Finally a subject I can talk about. Great bike, lots of power. Only major issue I had was the jetting. Ran very fat, fouled plugs like crazy. I leaned out carb with 42,172,#7 slide and CGM#3. Been doing all the maintenance to bike to keep it purring(7 years old). Really recomend Ktm for the quality and durability, future bikes will be pumpkins. I would ride the bike and inspect it well before purchase. Ask about maintenance, top end work, mods etc.

Matthew

Mar 24, 2001
I had a 95 300exc just sold it 2 years ago. I actually like the suspension on it compared to my 00 300exc. It is much more plush. Make sure you run the fork booties, The accordian style. they work much better than anything else. The fork seals lasted for over 4 years if you run these boots. I ran for jetting a 45 pilot 175 main stock slide and a n85d needle in the 3rd clip without any plug or jetting problems.

If the fork boots are bad or you are missing them I found a new pair in the garage still in the plastic bag they came in.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Thanks for the info...keep it coming!

I appreciate the info.

I have looked at the bike again. It is at a local shop on consignment. I noticed the clutch cable is siliconed where it meets the crankcase. I assume this is to keep water out. The fork boots look to be in good shape. I can't find anything cosmetic to send up red flags. I will contact the owner and get more information.

In the meantime...keep the recommendations coming!:)

ktmmudd

Sep 5, 2001
95 300 EXC

I bought a 94 300 MXC 2 years ago. Normal maintenance items needed,like
brake pads, chain and sprockets, and tires. I've ridden it two seasons now
and it still doesn't need a top end. The 300's aren't a good bike if you are trying to improve your mechanical skills! They will teach you to jet though.
Good luck.

Top Bottom