I'm looking at getting a trail bike.

icedgreece

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not sure how to classify a "trail bike". That's why I'm here.

I learned how to ride on a 1979 Suzuki DS-100. It was a 2 stroke, oil injected, trail bike. I would never take it on a trail though...

I've been around shopping, and obviously all salesmen are commission so they all try to push a bike that isn't selling. One guy tried to push a 250YZ 2 stroke on me, lol.

So, I was wondering, what do I get? I'm looking for in the 250 - 4 stroke area, or a 2 stroke, but I don't think those are trail bikes?

I wouldn't race, I would do dry and wet trails, med-high rpms, and yeah.

What do I get? Can you list several bikes that would suit me?

Thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why do you care if it's medium to high rpms?

You want a great trail bike? XR250, low maintenance, solid, lots of potential to build more power down the road and carried Scott Summers on a race loop faster than a 400 or 600! Another option would be a KDX200. A proven durable bike but just not my cup of tea.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
250 4t-CRF/X, KLX, WR. The KLX and WR are street legal.

There's a host of other larger bore trail bikes and dual sports out there as well. KTM has many 2 strokes to choose from as well.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
IMO, the KTM 2 strokes are some of the best trail bikes out there, I know several people that own one. The KTM 300EXC is a 2 stroke with tractor like low end power, but KTMs arent cheap. As mentioned, the Kawasaki KDX 200/220 is also a good choice. Depending on how you feel about older bikes, the 1998 and Prior WR250's were 2 strokes. With that being said, I ride a Yamaha WR426 and a XR400, as I prefer 4 strokes. Its really a matter of preference.

Top Bottom