I'm looking for something street legal that can go off-road.

palmer5

Mar 7, 2010
I recently inherited some rural land from my parents, and I'm looking to build a cabin or something on it, for the times I want to get away from everything and relax. I figured I might need some form of cheap, light transportation that could handle off-roading, as well as being able to go on the road legally. After seeing that dirtbikes get insane mileage, I decided to look into them.

I'm 25 years old, around 6'1", 200 lbs. I have no riding experience and would use the bike primarily for getting around on the property, and going into town from time to time. I really don't have any interest in racing or even going above 35 mph or so. I'd be doing my own maintenance, something else I have no current knowledge of, and although I'm willing to learn, the easier it is to repair/maintain, and the less often I have to do it, the better. I'm looking to spend about $1500.

Finally, it'd be nice if it were fairly quiet, but it's really not that big a deal.

Thanks in advance!

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
MORE GOOD ONES: Suzuki DR, Honda XR, Yamaha IT, Yamaha TT, Kawasaki KLR... [how 'bout something cheaply priced & different?,..made from the Suzuki DR platform, the *Suzuki Zongshen Sierra 200... very quiet, 67-77 m.p.g. dual purpose bike from China,(sold in U.S.A. for $1189.00 @(craigslist w/zero miles on it...in a crate,..assembly required..brand new!). I just ran across this stuff on the web!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would not consider dirt bikes to get "insane" gas mileage. When riding on the highway at ~55 MPH you can expect to get 70 MPG or so. Take that bike off road and ride 15 to 20 MPH through varied terrain and you will get around 20 MPG.

It always helps to know where you live so that advice can be more specific. If you live in California the choices of street legal dirt bike is VERY limited while other states are not nearly so picky about what they will register for the road.

Some states will register just about any 4 stroke motorcycle that has the minimum equipment requirements: horn, headlight, brake/tail light, mirrors, speedometer. After market kits are available that will convert a non-street bike to meet these requirements so you will find all sorts of options.

If you want/need a bike that is street legal from the factory then you will be looking at a Yamaha XT250, Honda CRF230L (note the "L" on the suffix, very important), or similar bikes. An older XT250 will have a kick starter but the newer ones are electric start only.

Like Walt said, stay away from the cheap Chinese bikes. I know several people who have bought them and they all turned to junk in very short order, even when used very gently. Stupid things break and then you can't find replacement parts.

To get into your price range on a decent bike you will be looking at a bike 10 years old or more. Not to worry, a 10 year old bike can still have lots of life left in it.

Rod

Top Bottom