Aug 6, 2000
Me and my friend were out side of his house messing with my audio system in my car (you can hear me coming from more that a 1/4 mile away with house and trees in my way) and I had Nirvana on and me and my friend were tuning the amp for more power when this kid comes walking and asks what are we doing. Me being the nice buy that I am say "turning up my system for more sound, so get out of here your bothering". He looks and say "why bother with a old car", I laugh and say "I'm older that this car, and didn't I tell you to move your @ss on outta here" He looks at me than he says "what are you listening to?". Me and my friend look at each other and crack up and I say "havn't you ever heard of Nirvana". He said yea their some old band" my jaw dropped and I said "their one of the greatest bands ever next to Metallica". He looks at me again and says "Metallica? there older than Nirvana"

I had it at this point this kid starts to go on about how I'm old and all my music is old and my cars are old so I walk over to my friends house and I tell the kid to come here and he came over and said "what now old man?" I picked up the hose that we left running and soaked him and crys and screams as he runs, and me and my friend fall on the ground laughing and when we finally stop we get and go back to work and I said "when I was his age I would have never said that to a person as old as me" and my friend laughs and say "yea I know". Then we look at each other and just said "**** were getting old"

Now I just turned 18 not to long ago and I still have one more year of high school I consider myself near my prime, but that really bothered because I think I'm old. I find something wrong with this.

Oh old foggies of DRN give me some insight ;)

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
You're only 18!?!

I want the "fogies" (his words not mine) to see this. If you still have "teen" in your age how can you, or anyone consider you old? Was this kid around 4 or 5? You not old until you are around.........nevermind, I'm not going there.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
He stuck around alot longer than I would, that's oddly brave of him. At 18, if anyone calls you old, just make a joke about their mama or something. That's what I used to do anyway. :)

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
The hose job was a nice touch. Maybe now he won't talk to older guys like that. He realized that you are not a figment of his imagination and a real threat to be respected. Probably his first lesson. Do you remember yours? I remember some of mine.

Getting old is like going insane. Everyone realizes it except you. Any day you wake up can be in the prime of life. It's what you make of it.

I do miss the days of quick reflexes (well, quicker than at 38), highschool women, FTW without a care attitude, but midlife is ok. I still get to do what I want basically, except now I have to work for it. No choices there.

I've also found that my musical interests have widened. I didn't really appreciate Metallica until I was about 31. Now I like country a lot. It all has to do with what stage of your life you are in, and how the music relates to you. The only thing that I really loathe is the stations that play the same six songs every hour. It's an insult to human intelligence. I can appreciate any tune for what it's worth, just don't cram it down my throat every hour. Repetition SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! There is far too much quality stuff that never gets played. It's almost like the radio stations are saying 'HEY THIS IS NEWER AND THEREFORE BETTER!!!!' bull (applies to workplace where I have no choice, the only way to deal w/ that is to make up some joke or funky dance w/ other old guys).

"It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes" Not a bad song, but do I really want this publicly broadcast where my 5 yr old can hear it? No. I don't. (great song for the stripjoint) He likes 'Enter Sandman' anyway :) :) :) I know. He told me it's happy music so that's good enough for me.

Raising kids is also something I could never imagine. It's like living your youth from as far back as you can remember. You take a minute, do something goofy for your son or daughter, and suddenly it hits you; 'I used to like that stuff when I was 5'.

Enjoy Every Day, good, or bad, or maybe just the same old.

Ride On.

Joe Chief

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Psyco Diver 69, LIFE is just getting ready to hit you. Once you get out on your own, start a family after sveral, several, years of finding that right women. That will be when you start living. Everything else up to that point will be a school session to get you ready for Life.
A person is only as old as they feel. After I figured what the most important things in life are, for myself. That's when it hit me. I need to get my ass in gear, buckle down, start being a man, and start living my life right. That's when I knew I was just begining my life. Now I'm only 28, but I still feel 18.
Instead of soaking the kid, when he said "why bother with a old car?". You could have gave him a lesson on why old cars are "pimp". And why they are worth the investment to fix up. Who knows, the kid might of got intersted and find a new hobby in fixing up old cars or bikes, etc... Kids usually ask questions because their curious, don't know anything else beside what they have seen from their parents point of view, and so on so forth.
Why spray him and risk having his "old man" stick the garden hose up somones butt to give them a enima, while his son sits back and laughs :eek:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
WHen your old is when your not having fun anymore.. 34 and i still get in a pit at concerts, ride Moto, Jet Ski, Go Peds etc..

Now for some punk saying Nirvana is old, is too young too remeber.. They wiped out all the "Power Ballad" Bands!! :aj:
RIck

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I hate people who can't appreciate an old(er) car. If you've paid for it, and own it, it's all good. I can't stand people who have brand new vehicles and dis anything older than 1998. PD69- how old was the kid, 12-14?

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
I may only be fourteen but Nirvana is one of the greatest bands ever. I mean at least we don't have to listen to Twisted Sister or whatever anymore, but then again there might not have been any "pop" music...

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well one thing I can say is that gettig older is a lot better than the alternative!!!

whats real tough is when your 6 year old daughter is out in the garage helping you wash the bike and having a converstaion something like this
"wow dad this is a pretty nice bike you gonna do tricks on it?"

" heh my trick is to come home in one piece hun"

" oooh thats right ,sorry dad I forgot that you are old"

didnt know whether to laugh or cry at that point

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I were the little kid you sprayed with a hose, your old crappy ride with the cheap, probably stolen stereo, would look like a rank omlet before the next dawn.
Insight: Badasses tend to spend more time in front of a judge, or under a granite marker than they do contributing to society.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Psyco Diver 69,
At 30 I don't think I have yet to say that phrase. I still live my life the way I always have, on my own terms. Now I have had people your age tell me I'm old but, the first thing that comes to mind is that every generation perceves the one that came before as antiquitated. More than likley the little shibit is jealous(the fact that you drive and ride is enough to elicit a reaction from those that can't) and was just trying to get a rise out of you.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Here's how I would handle it. First I would ... uh ... wait, it'll come to me. Doh! I'm getting old, too. :confused:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Wraith
Instead of soaking the kid, when he said "why bother with a old car?". You could have gave him a lesson on why old cars are "pimp". And why they are worth the investment to fix up. Who knows, the kid might of got intersted and find a new hobby in fixing up old cars or bikes, etc... Kids usually ask questions because their curious, don't know anything else beside what they have seen from their parents point of view, and so on so forth.
Why spray him and risk having his "old man" stick the garden hose up somones butt to give them a enima, while his son sits back and laughs :eek:

I was thinking the same thing. Good advice to Psycho Diver 69. He seems to need a little direction.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Well Psycho, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that in reality, you're not old at all.

The bad news is that you won't ever be 18 again, so enjoy it.

Once your out of high school, time starts to pass really fast. I'm 32 and find the last 5 years of my life have been a blur.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Psycho - While hosing the kid down probably wasn't the nicest thing to do I must admit...I laughed :)

Don't sweat it - if thats the worst thing you do as an 18 yr old then you're good to go.

I did a lot worse when I was 18 and I bet most others did too!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
LAE! FAPAK! OLD the cd I bought had the motor cycle song on it. and it told of the significants of the pickle

Aug 6, 2000
Jaybird you need to calm down, that kid with his "I'm better than everyone" attitude deserved it. He was about 10 or 11, same age when I used to ull stupid crap and not listen to anyone, hmm wait I still do that :eek:

I know I'm young its just that little brat was trying to get under my skin, and to bad for him he did. Luckly I live in the middle of the woods (pretty much a 5 minutes ride to about 30 different trails that connect to most of south NJ)

Trust me that isn't the worst thing I've done as a 18 year old and I think 95% of you can agree you've done way worse too.

Top Bottom