I'm scared, tell me what's gonna happen

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
where I ride

XRenduro- I live in the So Cal Hi desert, so most of the time I take off right from my house and either hit some dirt roads for some high speeds, then I'll take off on some tight, twisty single track, or 'bomb run' through the open desert.
There's a really great ridge trail up in the national forest about 15 miles south of here that I like to do, that's sandy, steep, and gives some awesome views of both the desert and mountains, and the trails at Big Bear are only one hour away.
We have Stoddard, Johnson, and Lucerne Valleys just to the north of here where several organizations hold desert races, including AMA, and SCORE.
With all this good riding within an hour of home, I rarely venture too far.
Because I have ample opportunity to 'open it up', the 360 was a great choice for me, and I've been riding long enough that I can handle it in the tight stuff.
I think if you choose the 250 you'll be very pleased, but there will be a learning curve, and you may think you made a mistake at first. Once you learn the riding style that suits your new mount, you'll never look back!
Good luck on whatever you choose!:D

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
You can see from my sig that I've owned or own most of the bikes you're interested in. My 99 250E does not have much hit at all compared to an MX bike. It does come on the pipe but not with any arm strecthing surge of power. It's got good lowend power and then makes great power from the mid on up. The 01 250E motor is quite different than the 99, though. I understand it does make more power down low but I'd still not expect a big hit.

I've ridden several KTM 300's and they do have a bigger hit coming into the midrange. Again, not uncontrollable but you have to pay a bit more attention to where you're headed when you pull the trigger.

The 200 is a nice bike, too. The 99 we have has a huge hit coming on to the pipe stock. Jetting changes smoothed that out but it still likes to pull the front wheel up when it hits. Again, the 01 motor is somewhat different. I understand it has more lowend power now and less of a hit. The smaller frame on the 200 just doesn't feel right to me at 6'2", 205lb. It's very light and easy to get through the tight stuff, though.

The 400 is without question the most fun bike I have ever owned. Constant grin factor for me. It has the most perfect powerband that I can imagine wanting. Great lowend with plenty of on demand torque. It just has plenty of very easy to control power with very little engine breaking. Maybe I'm just a 4 stroke rider and never knew it but I'm totally in love with this bike. And with just some spring updates, it's got easily the best suspension I've ever ridden on. Better than the EE revalved shock on my 99 250E by far. IMO, the 15 or so extra pounds over the 2 strokes is well worth it for the e-button.

I replace topends on my 2 stroke race bikes every season. I'll let the 400 go two years, most likely, before I tear it down.

I got my 400 for $6100 before tax, $6490 OTD so it does sound like the price is kind of high on the 250 you're looking at. Try Mike Krueger in Topeka, KS toll free at 866-843-7433 or Mike Larson in Cambridge, MN at 763-689-2760.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Final decision

Hey all you guys are great, i'm really narrowing it down, pretty much to the 250 so i NEVER out grow the power and so i don't have a hit i have to get used to. My uncle called me earlier today and pretty much just told me straight out that he wanted my bike since he heard me talking about a new one. So i'm thrilled, he's willing to dish out $3500 for my '01 XR250 with lots of extras. SO I'M WAY WAY WAY EXCITED. I just have to dish out $2500 for the new one, or try and talk him down. Which is alot but i have a feeling it will be totally worth it in the long run. I wish the 250 was as cheap as a 200. HEY JEB, how much is it to do a top end on a 250? Just curious cuz it'll come up this fall. Thanks

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Kid, try and get your dealer down on price on that 250. Or call one of those guys JEB mentioned; I know Mike is a good guy. I know a 2001 200EXC goes for $5600 before fees here in CA. That's if you can find one. And everything here costs more (like electricity).

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Re: Final decision

Originally posted by XREnduroKid
HEY JEB, how much is it to do a top end on a 250? Just curious cuz it'll come up this fall. Thanks

Sounds like a great price you're getting for your XR! I think you'd be very happy with the 250.

A KTM OEM topend will run you close to $200. If you go Vertex, etc, it'd probably be a bit over $100. I always used OEM parts but others have had great luck with Vertex and Wiseco.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I have more fantastic news!!!!!! My uncle is getting into riding and after we got talking i told him that if he bought my bike i could save him $1000 plus the bike would have $650 in extras on it. He was thrilled and i told him i wanted $4000 for it, he is thinking about it and i'm pretty sure he's gonna go with that. PLUS, MORE GREAT NEWS, the dealer cut the price about $300. $6427 out the door. That's after sales/freight/tax plus i get a free set of tires. AWESOME :). I'm so happy, all i need is my uncle to commit and i'll be confused as a pumpkin i'll be so orange. ( except the fact that i'll be wearing Fox/Honda jersey and pants) YES!!!!!!

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
its a KTM you are buying.
you shouldn't need a top end as early as this fall, unless,
you ride an enduro every weekend between now and october and digest
some dirt too.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I won't need a top end that soon?

I ride 5-6 hours every weekend, that's 20-24 hours a month. i thought the top ends only last about 45-45 hours, of normal riding (not racing, not put-put trail riding)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
You should be able to get the price lower than that. I got mine for $5998 out the door, with tax and everything. ALso when are you planning on buying? You might not be all that far away from the delivery of the 02's, unless of course you're buying it right away. Also do you have a choice as to what tires you get for free? I know that they're Michelins, but which ones?

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I ride on harescramble and enduro tracks i just don't race them, but i do keep up as quick a pace as i can. Will a top end still last me that long? Can you pull it apart and check it or once you pull it apart do you have to replace it? Thanks

Last edited:

James Dean

May 17, 2000
200cc Was Better Than 250cc

First off, I ride a 250EXC and like it a lot. I want the power and would probably like a 300 better yet.

I advised my neighbor to get a 250EXC after he had been riding an XR250 for a few years. He bought a 250EXC and DID NOT LIKE IT! He said it was too big and not as nimble as his XR. Despite the good power it made. He sold it and bought a 200MXC and loves that bike. It fits him and makes all the power HE wants.

I rode it and found that it was not enough for me. It also was too cramped for my size.

We each have our preferences. Try to test ride both of these before you buy ANYTHING!

James

lapatcktm

Jun 5, 2001
Something that nobody has told you as of yet. YOU CAN CONTROL THE HARD HIT OF THE 250 USING DIFFERENT JETTING, AS YOU CAN CONTROL THE LACK OF LOW END OF THE 200 USING PROPER JETTING. In a nutshell I can make my 250 ex/c feel like it is only a 200 and I can make my friends 200 feel like my 250. It is all in the jetting for where you want the hit to be Top-end or Low-end. Also again your price is very high for the 250. KTM retail is only $6,195 for the ex/c, $6095 for the m/xc (difference is the lights). Also, unless you don't keep your airfilter cleaned and run good gas mixtures (WP oil and high octane) you will not have to worry about rebuilds for quite a while. I ride just as often as you (buy padded pants :D ) and I also work on the bikes, so I see many come in after years of riding with nothing more needed then a good tune-up (spark plug, Tranny oil, flush radiator). many times we pull apart the engine to rebuild and see that we really didn't need it and that is on bikes way back to the mid nineties. Wiseco is the most notable rebuild kit. Costs about $50 less then OEM. Usually costs about $300 for parts and labor.

Top Bottom