Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
It probably won't mean much to anyone that's not familiar with our local motorcycle club but I'm the 2006 president, elected by our club body. Our club, Waco Eagles, was chartered by the AMA in 1934 and is perhaps the oldest motorcycle club still operating in America today. It started off as a street club but moved primarily to dirt around 1950 or so. We are a private membership club and the grounds are open 24/7 - 365 days a year. We host public MX races on the 3rd Sunday of every month as well as scheduled 1/4 & 1/2 mile Flat Track events. We have a TT track and some light woods for an occassional CC race. Two main MX tracks and a small kids track.

Not meaning to sound like an ad or even patting myself on the back by bringing this all to light, I just know I have some rather large foot prints to follow and my work cut out for me. I started out as a member of this club in 2000 when I got back into riding after a 30 year layoff. When I joined the club membership was down to roughly 100. I was elected an executive board member last year and became very active in the club affairs which is why I presume I was elected president this next year. Membership has grown to around 400 since I became an officer and I intend to improve the facility we have which is going to require a lot of work with the continious riding we endure. Here's my main delima.

Being a private club, the revenue we generate is soley from membership and races. The constant riding between race days is really paying it's toll on the track and all the equipment we have is either old or inadequate to get anything done to the track. We pay approx 18k per year in outside contracts to repair the tracks however last years cost was over 30k. The only tractor we have is a 70's model Ford that even has a hard time doubling as a shredder. I want to purchase a peice of equipment to maintain the track ourselves but it is hardpacked bluegroove. So far I think a Compact skid steer may be our best bet but I can't deside if I should go for a skid steer or a compact track loader. Can some of you experienced in track work advise me on the best choice for an affordable "do all" machine? Also if I should spend the extra cash and go for new?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Congrats Jeff! Private clubs are great but just like many things it usually falls on the shoulders of a few to make it happen. You'll be busy for sure. :)

I've done track work at our club facilities over the years, my suggestion would be for a small track unit. The tracks won't mess up the surface as much as a wheeled unit and they are significantly less apt to get stuck plus rolling or flatting a tire on a skid loader can happen often and be a hug pain.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Jeff, are you related to Paul Gilbert? (The guitar and your name made me think of that :) )

Patman, when I watch them groom the track we race at, they take a big dozer (with tracks) around it first. Then it seems like they use the loader (with tires) to smooth it out. I thought they used the dozer to "pack" in the ruts and then the loader to smooth and put the lips on the jumps? Is that right? It sounds like you're saying the machine with tires is harder to do? I'm curious because we're thinking about buying a piece of equipment to maintain our little practice track (about 2 acres).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Congrats on the post Jeff. I know zilch about track maintenance other than what I see here locally, but it appears chewing up the track with a disker prior to watering is a large part of track maintenance around here. Don't think a small skid steer could handle that task.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Chili, the type of dirt we have plus the number of riders on any given day sort of make it a waste of time to do any discing or tilling. If we didn't have riders from sun up to sun down almost every day I would till it in a heartbeat but what happens when we do is the ruts that form after race day become like deep concrete and marbles. The best luck we've had is to simple smooth with a blade and water the day before a race. The track is very tacky doing it this way and after it dries, the top layer begins to chunk up after a few days in the sun but with the amount of traffic on it, it gets beet down pretty quick. I'm mainly looking for something to reface jumps and rebuild berms.

HajiWasAPunk, :fft: I tought Paul how to play...I wish! There's no relationship that I'm aware of but my dad came from a very large family so there's no sure way to tell....

Patman, thanks for the input also. I know what you mean about a few people doing all the work. It's a good club with a long history and I'm sure there will come a day when someone else will need to take over. Right now I enjoy doing what I can and it's fun to watch the kids and kids at heasrt have a blast. We have a lot of good people here.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I guess this means you'll be too busy to grace us with your presence at DW 06?
Okay, that was just selfish, right there.

Congrats mister!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Okiewan said:
I guess this means you'll be too busy to grace us with your presence at DW 06?
Okay, that was just selfish, right there.

Congrats mister!
I think I already paid for DW06 mister :nener:
I'm looking to relaxing while someone else does all the work :)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Props to you Jeff for stepping up to a big and sometimes thankless job. I know you have the positive attitude it takes to get r done! :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Congratulations President Gilbert!

Are y'all a 501c3? If so, you can get surplus equipment from the government before it hits the open market.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
so that is what happens when you get your picture on the club website. they picked a good one for president. does that mean tigger is first lady? i guess the track is black clay? if so, that stuff is hard to make loamy. see if you can get in touch with russ at badlands mx. his track is black clay and he has done a pretty good job of it. left the straights alone and added sand/wood/ect to all of the corners. he would have an idea of you would need as far as equipment goes.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
tx246 said:
so that is what happens when you get your picture on the club website. they picked a good one for president. does that mean tigger is first lady? i guess the track is black clay? if so, that stuff is hard to make loamy. see if you can get in touch with russ at badlands mx. his track is black clay and he has done a pretty good job of it. left the straights alone and added sand/wood/ect to all of the corners. he would have an idea of you would need as far as equipment goes.
According to Tigger she is the first lady. :)
I love to ride at Badlands,we have the same dirt only 100 timews the traffic.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
HajiWasAPunk said:
Patman, when I watch them groom the track we race at, they take a big dozer (with tracks) around it first. Then it seems like they use the loader (with tires) to smooth it out. I thought they used the dozer to "pack" in the ruts and then the loader to smooth and put the lips on the jumps? Is that right? It sounds like you're saying the machine with tires is harder to do? I'm curious because we're thinking about buying a piece of equipment to maintain our little practice track (about 2 acres).
In a perfect world yes it would be great to be able to have a big tractor with disc, a large dozer and a small loader but for Jeff's situation I don't think that's possible. Our club is very similar to his and I know that he sort of has to do the best he can with what's available. I that situation a small tracked loader would be my personal choice based on dollars & overall usability.

Top Bottom