Im thinking about getting a ttr230 but need help before I decide

Aug 1, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5' 11'' 180lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty physical and aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods mostly but anywhere I can ride with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Nope wasnt able to get one until now
5) Do you think you will race ?
Probably not, but if I get good I quess I would try it.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No preferance but im guessing a 4 stroke would be better for me
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
All kinds
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Hopefully less than 3000
10) Do you live in California?
No, Michigan
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I found a new 2007 ttr 230 for 2800, should I get that or keep searching?

Thanks

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
the TTR series is a great bike for casual trail riding and low bike maintenance but they are not a performance machine by any means. this is a fine starter bike for someone just getting into trail riding but you will quickly outgrow this machine if you have any performance desire - and at 17-yrs old, who does not... you are a little heavier than me and while i do not race, i do ride aggressive with the wheels mostly on the ground and the TTR series just did not cut it for me. not enough grin factor. another comparison is what are your friends riding - that will tell you what you will be expected to eventually do (ride) if you plan to be able to keep up with them. i eventually went with a 4-stroke MX race bike with a few modifications for durability and safety, otherwise stock. i love the "point and shoot" out of corners - big power and my CRF450 is about the same weight as the TTR230. lot of fun but maintenance is more demanding. i still have an XT225, the road version of the TTR230, same engine, different suspension and gearing. its nice for running to the sandwich shop or a street legal ride on dirt roads.

Top Bottom