im thinking yz 250 or yzf 450, not sure!!

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
im 24, 6'2" about 200lbs im not a professional rider and have not goals at being one, just looking for a good reliable bike to have some fun on, but yet not get a small enough bike to make me want more power later. so thats why i want a 250 yz or a 450 yzf or 400/426 yzf for that matter since ill prob be getting a 2000 model . Is there any major different between the 400 426 and the 450?

i know the pros and cons of both worlds a little, the 2 strokes have to be rebuilt every season, every 150 hour or so, the 4 strokes run for a while if mentained properly, but do cost more money to maintain.

Both bikes weigh about the same, wich surprizes me because i thought there was atleast 100lbs difference in the 2 class bikes. But happens to be that the 250 yz and the 450 yzf both weigh about 215-220lbs wich is why im concidering the 450 now instead of the 240 2 strokes as i have always wanted.

Now i guess my question is, what are your pros and cons of the both worlds? The 2 stroke bikes dont have that much low end power unless they are kept in the lower gear and the engine always has to be loaded to have the fun with the power.. am i correct? but with the 4 stroke 450 the are all around fun ...

i mean i like the fact that you dont have to rebuilt the 4 stroke as much and you just put the gas in and go... please help me out on making this choice... thank you

nick

Last edited:

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I think you may have a few of your facts a little turned about. Four strokes require slightly more maintenance than 2-strokes and are slightly more money to rebuild. You are correct on the fact that 2 strokes don't make as much low end power/torque but a 2 stroke can ride around on the trails and put around the pits with no problem. A few simple mods will move the power around for you. I think that 2 stroke maintenance is a little easier to perform yourself although a 4 stroke can be done easily if you have just that touch more bit of engine know how. If it was my money and I was purchasing a bike that was 4-5 years old I would go with the 2 stroke because you just don't know how the bike was maintained and for a few hundred dollars you can usually have a like new motor on a 2 stroke were as if the 4 stroke was ill maintained it could cost anywhere between twice that to god knows how much money. If you aren't out to dominate the world and just want to play and have a good time a 2 stroke dirtbike is the way to go for the inexpensive and simpler maintenance. If you need every last advantage in the power department in a racing situation and have some extra money, then you may want a four stroke although that in itself is debatable and has been beat to death on any internet dirtbike forum you care to look. I am 5"10 and about 225lbs and my CR250R will take my fat ass anywhere I have cared to go so I would say I am little 2 stroke biased but I considered the 4 banger, just didn't seem worth the extra cost and work for my spode self.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
4 strokes are kind of scary to buy when used that old because you never know how it was maintained, but with a 2 stroke, the maintanance is cheaper, easier and usually DIY. It seems like a LOT of people with 4 strokes decide to sell it when it needs a new top end and major work. Why invest $1000 into it, when you plan on buying a new bike soon anyway?

2-Stroke:
easier to maintain
cheaper to service
funner to ride on tracks, etc..(subjective)
harder to handle power band on tight trails and technical hills

a lot of it depends on skill level, where you ride and the feel you like. I thought I was SOLD on 4 strokes until I spent a day riding my dads. I don't think I will go to a 4, the stats say the wt is the same, maybe that is correct, but it sure doesn't feel like it when riding the bike.

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
well gee guys, its a hard choice indeed. I think the best thing to do it find 2 bikes and test them to the limit haha... but me being a rookie kinda makes it a little hard :)

i did find this one bike, a '00 yzf426 , the guy is selling it pretty cheap, for $2200, he said it needs fork seals and he needs the money. Im considering taking up on his offer compared to that being a price of a older model 250 2 stroke... If i can get his bike for $2,000 should i do it?

here is that bike

zj5XSj91wDmi0RGT1AJSGshaYPlm.jpg

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
well im also considering the yzf250, i hear good things about it, a lot of people sare saying that the yzf250 puts down more power than they expected the 250f to be... rich how does your daughter like the 250f? how old is she or how heavy is she, does she say its crazy or enough power for her?

i do want a good all around bike to go trails, go some hill climbing, while still be able to have control over the bike around the track and have a light bike for learning the jumps and not have the worry of having a heavier 426f

im honestly not seeing me using all the power the 426 has to offer for being a 200+lbs bike but me being a 200lbs guy im wondering if the 240f will have enough power to give me the rush
Go to Top of Page

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i think that the 426F is a good deal. and it even comes with a sand tire. i love 4 strokes. my KDX 175 2stroke is OK. im more a 4 stroke guy. it always sounds like its gonna blow up. plus with a 4 stroke you got more bottom end to play with. my neighbour has an 04 YZ450F and he says its too heavy for him. but i think even with the weight that the YZ450F is worth it.

Top Bottom