Important! Bike Transport From Kansas City

B

biglou

Just got done doing the test load on Robert's trailer. Here's what we can do: 7 bikes on the trailer,no more, and 2 in the back of Tony's truck. This will leave us with room for gas cans and a couple of well-stocked toolboxes. Gear bags will have to be taken on the plane for those flying. Seven is definitely the maximum number on this trailer. I have a picture (last pic below) of my truck with the tailgate down and trailer attached, and it looks like there will be no loss of turn radius if we have to drop the tailgate on Tony's truck for two bikes in the bed. Also, his truck will be taller with even more vertical clearance between the trailer and the tailgate. See the succession of pics below for how the bikes would be packed. Also, we will need four more of the wheel "chocks" that you see two of sitting on the trailer in a couple of the pictures. These go for $15 apiece. We have the green light to drill into the decking of the trailer as needed from it's owner. Whatever we need to do, it's cool: drill, weld, etc.

Pictures:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01738.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01739.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01740.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01741.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01742.JPG
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/big_lou/_uimages/DSC01743.JPG

It may not look like it, but the two bikes are as tight as I would want to load them. The footpegs are actually overlapping. See the handlebare overlap, also. The shrouds are about 3" apart, too. That's about the minimum amount of "wiggle room" that I'd like to see.

Now, the current confirmed list for bike transport is as follows:
1. Tony Eeds-Pilot.
2. Blackhawk.
3. Motohead00.
4. BigLou-Copilot.
5. Rooster.
6. Mr. Luckey.
7. Gospeedracer.
8. Nikki.
9. Reddog.

Looks like we have a full boat already. The only way a spot opens up using this truck/trailer combo, is if Randy (Motohead) takes Strick up on his offer to ride the WR in Reno. Then we have room for one more. If we wind up snagging a bigger trailer, like the one Eddie had a line on, great. We can add more bikes. But for now, unless someone else wants do drive also, we are full.

The cost for transport will be $100 per bike. This will pay for fuel and hopefully an oil change and a little wear and tear for Tony's rig.

The rest of the people still on the fence:
1. XR3J
2. Julius Pleaser
3. Mully
4. SeniorKXrider
5. Agent Orange
6. Mrs. Orange
7. Mr. Modine

Looks like we could easily fill another truck/trailer combo if everyone decided to go. So, let's hear from ya if you're coming. Anyone else wanna caravan? We can split up the total bikes, share the transport fees so both drivers' vehicles are gas paid. Life's an adventure, right?! REEEEEE-NOOOOOOHHHH, BABY!!! :)

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Let's hear it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry to hear that you couldnt get more bikes going the sideways route. I thought forsure you'd be able to get 1 or 2 more on that way.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Scratch my name off the list Lou. I won't be making it this year. :(

BTW, I am sure you considered the bikes sideways as you have them but facing opposite directions. Did that/would that allow another bike or two? Oops, I forgot.... Tony drives a Chevy. I wouldn't want to overload it too much! ;)

Last edited:
B

biglou

Watchoo mean you ain't gonna make it? Heck, all you gotta do is fly in and ride Strick's WR!

Yeah, the bikes are about as close as they can get facing the same direction. Alternating would actually put them farther apart. As it is now, the footpegs and handlebars are overlapping as much as possible without rubbing plastic, as they would if we could get the bikes completely sideways and alternate them facing left and right. If the trailer was a foot wider, we might get 8 on there, but that's all. Center to center spacing is 2'. 2 x 8 = 16' trailer.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I know, I know.... fly in or have my bike hauled. It all sounds good. I just don't see me making it at this time. If funds are better, maybe I will still come, but right now I am not planning on coming. I already told Strick to give the WR to someone else if they needed it.

If it looks at all like I can make it, I will see what my options are at that time, but as of right now I am saying that I am a no-show. :(

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Randy :( :( :(

That's some serious bad news to read.  I'm gonna be bummed the rest of the weekend until I think of a way to get you out to Reno.  But one thing's for sure:  I'm gonna figure out how to get you to Reno.  So Strick, please hold off on lending out that WR just for now.

:cool:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
It's alright Nat. It is not like I flat broke or anything like that. I just am not planning on it since buying the new bike until I see how funds and all are going. I just didn't want Strick to hold the bike for me and me not show up at the last minute. This way someone that definitely would be coming if there was a bike available could take advantage of it.

That is also typically a bad month for me to be taking off at work. We are usually pretty busy at that time. Also, we will be doing alot of work for our enduro at that time and I think that it would be better to stay home.

Just too many reasons for me to stay right now.

rla

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
I won't be able to make the scene either. With my present employment, I consider myself lucky to spend a week at Oklahoma. Maybe things will change in the future. Sounds like an excellent time, though!
Jerry

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I am just going to have to make a decision closer to that time. Right now that is just such a busy month for me. I have been tossing around the idea of flying out and not even riding if it is too late in the game to borrow or get bike transport. You know... similar to last year without the long drive!!!!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lou:

Do you know how wide the trailer is? I have a friend here in Dallas who owns a construction company who may own a wider trailer that I might be able to borrow.

B

biglou

It is 6'-4" between the rails, Tony. If a trailer is wide enough to put bikes on completely sideways, one bike per 2' is the limit.

Top Bottom