Important question about 4S TM 450/530, HSB FE550e and Husky TE510

Shark666

Feb 5, 2005
Hi , im new here and i need your help if you please...

Im thinking to buy new bike and i cornered in a 1st stage my options to
the TM EN 450 or 530, Husaberg FE 550 e, KTM 525 EXC, Husqvarna TE 510 and GasGas FSE 450, all '05 versions.

One decisive point is if its possible to make a top end rebuild w/o removing engine from frame (i.e. remove head cover, head and cilinder to replace piston/rings with engine still in frame)

I allready have info about the TE 450 and 525 EXC (both possible) but i like to know about TM 450 & 530 , Husky TE 510 and also Husaberg FE 510e.

TIA
Shark666

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I know the KTM doesn't require engine removal for a top end rebuild. Not sure about the others. I've only had the valve cover off on my TM and it seemed like there was lots of room around there so I'd venture to guess that it would be easily done on that bike, too.

Shark666

Feb 5, 2005
Camstyn said:
I know the KTM doesn't require engine removal for a top end rebuild. Not sure about the others. I've only had the valve cover off on my TM and it seemed like there was lots of room around there so I'd venture to guess that it would be easily done on that bike, too.

The problem with the TE510 and TM 450/530 is that the use studs instead of bolts to hold the cilinder+head to the cases...however, because TM frame is "similar" to GG frame
i wonder if theres space to pull up head over the studs...thats the most dificult part to do....

Shark666

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
If I remember correctly, with the perimeter frame, it looked like the cylinder/head would lift straight up between the frame rails on the TM with no interference. I know that the frame and engine design hasn't changed much from '02 to '05. I'll pull the tank off tomorrow if I have time and take a close look, then let you know.

Shark666

Feb 5, 2005
Camstyn said:
If I remember correctly, with the perimeter frame, it looked like the cylinder/head would lift straight up between the frame rails on the TM with no interference. I know that the frame and engine design hasn't changed much from '02 to '05. I'll pull the tank off tomorrow if I have time and take a close look, then let you know.

Thanks !!! i like the overall design of TM ( i checked the '03 engine parts manual...) engine but im really concerned about this issue because i dont trust dealers mechanics (of any brand !!!) after all my friends tell me and what happened to me with my 1st 4S and i like to do all the maintnance/repairs in my bikes...

When you do it all alone , removing/installing a 4S engine of a off-road bike frame
w/o dismantle some of it 1st
its a true nighmare.

TIA
Shark666

PS:Because you seem to have 400, please check out if in a vertical motion there is any possible interference...530 engine has bigger studs and i need to calculate in theory if
it also possible...

Shark666

Feb 5, 2005
Camstyn said:

Camstyn,
Did you checked the clearance ?
TIA
Shark666

Shark666

Feb 5, 2005
Camstyn said:
Sorry Shark, haven't checked it yet. I'll do it this week and take a few pics while I've got the tank off for you.

Camstyn,
Any updates ? im really interested in all possible info that you could supply me...

Your info will be very important now that im loosing interest in 4S with more than 450...it seems that FIM decided to end with E3 category...this means that possibly will stop development of those bikes and/or their resell value will decrease...

TIA
AJSB

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Sorry again Shark, I've been having too much fun riding and not spending enough time wrenching. I'll post an update as soon as I pull the tank off. The Tm isn't getting the attention that it used to now that there is a new bike in the stable.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom