Impressions of Lightened Flywheel on TT-R125L

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
After numerous phone calls and e-mails (thanks everyone who responded with their experiences/advise), I decided to have the flywheel from my TT-R125L machined "down to the rivets" at a local machine shop recommended by my mechanic. The actual machining only took about 20 mins on the lathe and the guy charged me $30 Cdn.

After reinstalling it in my bike, a friend and I went out to do some back-to-back tests with his stock TT-R125L. I have to say that the difference is minimal. The bike definitely revs quicker, but the actual power difference over stock was nothing dramatic. What a disappointment :( Maybe this mod works better in combination with other mods (pipe, airbox mod, jetting, etc.). Next mod is the airbox (easy enough to do on my own with help from Kalitude's website) and then a pipe. Hopefully the lightened flywheel will have more effect then.

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

------------------
Squid
'01 TT-R125L

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Interesting.

I just had my girlfriends flywheel machined also and noticed the same type of minimal difference with the first short test ride. We will get a day of trail riding this weekend and see if there are any more noticeable differences with a longer ride.

The outer rim of the flywheel was machined down to within 3/16th of an inch from the threaded holes that I used for the flywheel puller, leaving the raised lip at that point.

I have heard the "down to the rivets' before, but that would seem to cut down past the threaded holes for the puller. How can you remove the flywheel if you take that much off?

On my postal scale the weight was 68.9 oz before machining, 52.9 after. (right at a 1 pound difference). I have done the airbox mods, and the exhaust also.

BBR had said that there was only a minimal difference, what does everyone else think?

Mike

------------------

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
simimi......I agree that taking it "down to the rivets" will definitely weaken the metal remaining around the threaded holes used to pull it out with the flywheel puller, but I'm hoping I will never have to take it out again.

I'm interested in hearing your impressions of this mod once you've ridden the bike on a longer ride. At the moment, the benefits of having this mod done don't really seem to justify the cost.

------------------
Squid
'01 TT-R125L

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I've yet to do the mod to my son's TTR, but I was never under the impression that it would give it more horsepower. Quicker revving is the only benefit I would expect. Hopefully it builds revs a bit faster therefore letting you accelerate quicker. Should make it more fun to ride IMO.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
FYI, I just took a quick look at Kalitude's web site www.ttr125l.com and she had 22 oz. removed from her flywheel. FWIW, she thought it was an awesome mod.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

Top Bottom