IMS Gas Tank Install on a KTM 520 RFS???

mikew

Dec 4, 2001
My question to anyone out there is how the heck do you get the IMS tank to mount up on your 520-RFS??

The first time I tried to mount the tank I had problems fitting the shrouds, fuel petcock, and in trying to mount the seat once the IMS tank is in place.

I contacted IMS and they told me I may have one of earlier molded tanks and that there was some fittment problems with those. So they sent me a new one and same problems, minus the fuels petcock issue. The shrouds still don't want to line-up and the seat mounting bolts at the side panels are still more than a 1/2 a bolt hole off. It appears that the tank sits too far back on the frame and does not let the seat move far enough forward to engage the mounts.

Any help or anyone expeirencing the same problems would great to hear from.

Thanks

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
been there, done that. ya the shrouds are a bitch, but i got them on. the only thing i found that helped the seat slide forward was to put a .125" spacer under the stud for the front seat tab. also, the cylindrical spacer they supply is too large in diameter and i had to grind the slot in the seat out so tha it would slide up on the spacer. after these mods and pure brute strength, i could just barely get the seat bolts started. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE IMS TANK. pis poor! i've recently heard that the Clarke tanks are the way to go.

ktmmarty

Feb 7, 2002
IMS Gas Tank Fit??

I just installed one 3 days ago on a 02 KTM 400 EXC and yes it is hard to get things to line up but you have to play hard ball on the shrouds getting the lower bolts started first and then push and shove. On the seat fwd stud you might have to install a longer bolt and spacer. All in all I still think it is a better tank than the Clark which I sent back with a poor fit. Bottom line it will fit . Good Luck

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Clarke Tank fit, what problems?

Originally posted by ktmmarty
All in all I still think it is a better tank than the Clark which I sent back with a poor fit.

ktmmarty,

I'm very curious as to what "fitment" problems you had with the Clarke Tank? This is the first time I've heard of any installation issues with the Clarke RFS tank. Did you get one of the first tanks? I ordered mine the first week they had them available on their web site.

I installed it on my 01' 400EXC last fall, about Labor Day. It was very painless. It took about 30 minutes total and everything fit up perfectly except that the hole through the tank to access the choke was about 3/8" off-center with the choke knob. This isn't a big deal, since the choke knob can still can be reached through the access hole without a problem. It took me longer to drain the fuel than it did to install the tank! ;)

Jeff

ktmmarty

Feb 7, 2002
Clark Tank on ktm 400 exc

The Clark tank that I had, the 2 fwd rubber donuts only engaged the slots in the tank like a 1/3 of the dia. of the rubber donut and the aft section of the tank was like a 1/2 in. from the rubber bumper pads on the frame. Now the IMS tank the fwd donuts went all the way in the tank slots and the aft end of the tank sits very close to the pads in the back.

Lee520

Feb 19, 2001
Put a Clarke on my 01 MXC 520 with no problems. Tank fit great, seat was the same fit as with old tank, no problem. The shrouds fit fine except the right side lower screw on the tank was off by a 1/4 of the hole. Had to force it some but not much. This tank is way better then the MXC tank and i still get 65 to 70 miles.

trailblazer

~SPONSOR~
Nov 27, 2000
Hi Marty. The Clarke tank on my 400exc fits real nice. You are correct in stating that the rubber holders are only about 1/3 of the way into the tank. However, the slot in the tank will only accept about 1/3 to 1/2 of rubber donut. So, it looks pretty good from that standpoint. The tank doesn't sit directly on the top tube like the stock tank. That could be good or bad....... It will be interesting to see how long it lasts; or if it springs a leak. See you at the family enduro.

Clark
CERA member

Top Bottom