NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
I'm looking at getting an oversize tank for my 04 KX250 for woods racing. The IMS costs $55 more than the Clarke? Is there really that much difference in a piece of plastic? Anyone with experiences on these two companies please share.

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
I've got a Clarke on my 95 KX250. 3.5 gallons I think? Gas stays in, and it stays on the bike. I sure can ride for a while before I have to add any gas too

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Can't speak from experience of ownership of both varieties ... but I decided on the Clarke 3.3 gal unit for my CRF-450 ... the fit, finish and function are essentially perfect for this model on my ride. I read the same unit from the other manufacturer is considerably more expensive [~$55 more in this case too] and doesn't fit anywhere near as nice as the Clarke unit.

By the way, I do suggest you check for rubbing of the radiators on the tank sides ... my radiators had suffered several crashes which caused them to be slightly our of alignment relative to virgin units ... and the design for these oversize fuel cells is based on the virgin parts assembly spacing. While such misalignment is not a serious problem, application of some electrical trap [to match tank color] can add some insulating insurance that a sharp edge of the radiator bracing structure does not rub a hole into the tank over time.

terry nestrick :cool:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have owned IMS tanks before. If anything, I believe I would pay extra for the Clarke. I was not happy with my IMS. It did the job, but barely. Prro fit and finish. Impossible to bolt the petcock on without a leak.

Mainjet

Jul 20, 2002
Clarke has the best fit and finish, but if you have a problem, they are arrogant to deal with. IMS has bad fit, finish, and weighs more....but good customer service. Get the Clarke!

Top Bottom