In need of a bike, help me choose.

pure

Oct 30, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

6'0 220

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Quite aggressive.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

Fields with friends, and some light MX

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes, on and off for 6 years.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Doubtful

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Not much, can change my own oil, clean filter, that sorta thing.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

2-Stroke, open to all brands.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

I have honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha within a 40 Min drive.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

$4000 or less

10) Do you live in California?

Yes

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I have had 2 bikes, both honda, one XR50 other XR100, I rode a 2-Stroke one time for about 5 mins and it was the most fun I had ever had on a bike. Open to all brands but would prefer a 2-Stroke. I haven't rode a bike in about 3 years.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get back riding. :cool:

May 1, 2007
I would get any brand 250 2 stroke or maybe even something like a XR600r. I would just hop on craigzlist and find a local deal. You can get a nice 250 2stroke around here for under $2000 in the $1500-2500 range. That is something like I would get. If you want to spend $4000 then get a thumper but you dont have to spend that much on a 2smoke.

pure

Oct 30, 2007
Ya, thats what I was thinking, a buddy of mine has a 04 YZ250 with a brand new topend that he's selling for $2,000 haven't got a chance to look at it yet but seems like a good deal.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
California requires all off road vehicles to be registered in order to ride on public lands. Are you aware of the "red" verses "Green" sticker issues?

If you prefer a two stroke and want to be able to ride all year then you will need to buy one that is a 2002 or older.

Where in California do you live? If your riding is going to be mostly in the southern California desert then you can often get away with riding without the required registration as the enforcement is rather rare (too much area and too many entry spots). If you live more north and will be riding in the state park areas then you really need to pay attention to the details as you usually have to enter through the ranger kiosk and the bike will be checked. This means you need the appropriate sticker AND the spark arrestor.

My knee jerk reaction is that you would probably want to be on a 250 two stroke or a 450 four stroke. A Yamaha YZ-250 or YZ-450F would be good bikes, but both would be "red sticker" bikes unless they are 2002 or older. The newer (2006) WR-450F are great bikes and are green sticker eligible but you might have a hard time finding one in your price range.

I would certainly pay more for a bike that was already registered in California, especially if it has a green sticker. It is certainly possible to register a bike that never has been but it will take several trips to the DMV and one to the CHP (with the bike). If you are only 17 then you can't do this, your parents will and I doubt that they will want to hassle with DMV.

Don't forget that you will also need the safety equipment. As a minimum

Helmet
Goggles
Boots.

I highly recommend
gloves
knee pads
chest protector.
pants.

Do you have a way of hauling a bike to a riding area?

Rod

pure

Oct 30, 2007
I am aware of the green/red sticker issue, I live in a southern desert in Kern County about 30 mins from Bakersfield. So the red sticker would not be an issue for me at all. I do have a truck to transport my bike. And yes, safety first, I always wear full protective gear when I ride, just not worth getting hurt/killed for the 2 mins it would have taken me to put my gear on. I talked to my Autoshop teacher today (cool guy) and he said he has an 01 YZF 426 for sale, $2500. I am going to my buddys house tomorrow to check out his YZ250 so we'll see how that goes, thanks for the help.

pure

Oct 30, 2007
WOW, I just got back from my buddys house, he let me ride his 04 YZ250, that thing RIPS, was so much fun. I knew it would have some power but jesus........ freakn insane. I'll definitely think about getting that bike for 2k.

Top Bottom