High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
... how many of you wish you could get to ride with Ol89'r through his mountains in California?!?

Not to rub it in, but....I"M GOING TO DO THAT TOMORROW!!!!!! :yeehaw:

Life is good! I'm going sight seeing and getting a lesson or two at the same time!!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
High Lord Gomer said:
Not to rub it in, but....I"M GOING TO DO THAT TOMORROW!!!!!! :yeehaw:
You gonna rub his Mantains? Or are NOT going to rub them? I am confused.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ok, this thread is starting to rub me the wrong way. :whoa: ;)

Goober. You silly boy, those aren't mountains. Out here we call em' hills. :nod: Next time you come out, we will take you to the mountains. :yikes: :rotfl:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
He said "goober"

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Ol'89r said:
Goober. Next time you come out,

Now all I can think of is Gomer's new theme song. I'm coming out... I want the world to know blah blah blah...
:rotfl:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Well the sheep in the Carolinas get a rest for a few days!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I got there and Ol89'r had a leak. You could smell it from several feet away, too. He tried to tighten things up but no go.... he had to resort to using alternate equipment.

We got pretty far out there to a secluded spot and his fears came true. He just didn't have any spark. We took it out and looked at it and didn't see anything obviously wrong, besides the obvious age, wear, and spooge. We blew on it, stuck it back in, but still no spark.

With no spark, he didn't have any problem going down, but was struggling to get it up. We decided I should pull him. I've never pulled anyone for that long before. I had to stop a couple times because my right hand was cramping.

I'll have to fill in with more detail when I'm not so tired.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
High Lord Gomer said:
I got there and Ol89'r had a leak. You could smell it from several feet away, too. He tried to tighten things up but no go.... he had to resort to using alternate equipment.

That tends to happen with old age-both the leak and the smell.
Just being around Gomer also leads to a natural tightening up of parts but I am worried about the "alternate equipment" Gomer would have along to plug it tho :yikes:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
truespode said:
I sense a movie in the making!
with banjo music or Barbra Striesand?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OK...I showed up and Ol89'r (BTW, for those that don't know, 89R was the number that Terry raced Pro Flattrack with for years, hence the name Ol89'r) was fiddling with the XR Valdeze outside the shop. I think he was outside the shop because the right carb was leaking on the XR350. He started it up and rode it around a little and he declared that "it doesn't leak while riding!", so we were going to take it and his CRF450R-x-ified. After more preparations he found that the XR Valdeze was living up to its name and leaking oil around the oil pump cover.

Being the gracious host, he chose to ride his 93 CR250 and let me ride the CRF450. Riding Terry's bike was similar to riding Rich's, Eric's, or AJ's bike...everything works as well as it possibly could because these guys know how to make them work. Even a couple thousand feet up on slippery rocks with a chewed up rear tire that thing would wheelie as soon as the tire caught.

Before we went out to ride I got to wander around the shop with my mouth hanging open at the ton of cool pictures and friends Terry has ridden with. I even managed to sneak out a 8.5x11 of Terry on his way to winning the Elsinore GP in the over 50 Expert Class.

In addition to being a pro rider, he is also a pro with aluminum. There were several cool things he had designed, built, and sold over the years that he still had laying around. I want to be there when he and AJ meet because I swear they are they same person a few years apart...WFO with a smile and a hand out to help the rest of us.

We eventually did suit up and head out to ride. Ol89'r suited up a lot more than me because he spends *A LOT* more time on the ground than me! It is such a nice feeling to be able to say that about someone...they crash more than me!

We headed up the fire roads into the mountains and Terry did me the favor of going far enough ahead that the dust would be settled before I got there. He did stop several times to see if I had discovered an extra low-low gear on the CRF that he hadn't found before. I'm sure he was impressed that I could ride that slow without falling over. For a flat-lander, riding around curves with several hundred foot drop-offs was a rather puckering experience.

More later...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ok, here's my version of the story. (Disregard all previous versions.) ;)

It was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD day. Ok, not really a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad day because anytime you get to go riding with a friend instead of working is a good day.

So, this fella showed up in my front yard and said, "Howdy, I'm Gomer from South Carolina, wanna go riding? Well I didn't know who the hell this guy was but he said the magic words. "Wanna go riding?" :nod: After a while I started to remember who he was. It was the famous High Lord Gomer.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I noticed he showed up with his gearbag so he must'a been serious about riding. We tried to get the XR Valdez running but it sprung a leak. Imagine that.LOL. After a little deliberation, I decided to take the smoker. Hadn't ridden it in a while and it was jetted for GP's. We started out and headed up to the repeater towers on Santiago Peak.

The ride started out pretty good until we got up to about 3/4's of the way to the towers. The richly jetted smoker with its cold plug was not very happy with the leisurely pace we were setting and at about 3,000 feet it eventually spooged itself to death. We figured, no problem, we'll just pull the plug and replace it with the one I usually keep strapped to the tank shroud. Guess what? When I was cleaning the bike, I removed the spare plug and forgot to put it back on. Dayum, I thought Gomer was gonna' bitchslap me. We tried to coast back but there were too many uphills that required that we push the bike. These things arn't made for pushing especially while wearing MX gear. So, we borrowed a length of barbed wire to use as a tow rope and decided to pull the smoker back. Now, I'm starting to remember why I don't ride smokers anymore.

This all started out pretty good, especially on the uphills. BUT, on the downhills, I was trying to hold both of us back using the brakes on the CR2fitty. This became quite interesting on the loose, rocky, downhill sections as Gomer pulled the smoker with the 450 and never looked back. I had the rear brake locked up, the front brake locked up and all the while doing tank slappers everytime the big 450 yanked on the lil' smoker. Ya see, the tow rope, (barbed wire) had gravitated over to one side of the handlebar clamp. Every time Gomer gassed it, or my brakes made the tow rope tight, it would put me into a tank slapper. I crashed about 3 or 4 times, but the 450 would yank me back up before I actually hit the ground. :yikes: All the while, I was sure I could hear some maniacal laughter coming from Gomers helmet. Too bad you didn't turn around Gomer, it was a pretty funny sight.

I remember looking at the barbed wire and thinking I had to keep it tight to keep it from tangling up in Gomers rear wheel or in my front wheel. I kept thinking, if I fall into that it would take a week to get me untangled and would probably use several boxes of bandaids.

Anyway, we finally got back to the house and spent the rest of the day drinking beer and telling lies. Oh, we went and checked out one of our local race tracks too.

I really enjoyed having you Mike. Oops, You know what I mean. Thanks for coming out and next time give us a little warning and we will get the Wrecking Crew together and plan a real ride.

Hope you had fun. :cool: I sure did.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
flyingfuzzball said:
WHY BARBED WIRE LOL

It's hard to find a tow rope at 3,000 feet.

Beats pushin'. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I would say that this story is unbelievable but I've known Gomer for a very long time so all I really can say is that there is "yet another Mike Nylando" story floating around.

Seems everyone who meets him has a great story to tell.

Like the one time I spent over an hour on my knees in his garage... looking for a small spring from the shifting barrel (or at least that is why he told me I was down there).

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Did I mention how good I am? I am so good.... that I can foul the plug on 89r's CR250 because I'm riding his 450 so slow. Damn, I'm good!

He told me not to look over the edge at my impending death so I had to go real slow to keep my focus on the millions of rocks that were trying to deflect me off the trail.

I offered to let 89r pull me with the 450 but when he asked if I trusted him more with the throttle or the brake, I decided to take the throttle myself!

I did look back at him twice and he looked bored so I grabbed another gear and picked up speed. I did look back a third time and all I saw was the end of the silencer and the seat cover puckered up into his butt cheeks. I decided I didn't want to see that again so I grabbed another gear and vowed to not look back again.

Occasionally he would take a shortcut (or maybe fart to accelerate) and generate slack in our "tow rope". A couple times when it would jerk tight again I couldn't help myself and I had to turn around to look again. Each time it was the silencer and the seat cover and me vowing not to look again.

We finally got to a point where we could coast for a considerable distance and get close to the house so we unhooked and traded bikes. I coasted the CR250 down to a fork where I didn't know which way to go and 89r headed to the house to get a plug. 14 hours later when the buzzards were getting bold enough that I could smell them, 89r showed back up with a pickup and no spark plug. He tried to trick me into using this fancy loading contraption he had made but I didn't fall for it. At least he did bring me a beer. I think I was actualy just a pile of dust by that point and he poured the beer into my pile to reconstitute me.

more later...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
I coasted the CR250 down to a fork where I didn't know which way to go and 89r headed to the house to get a plug. 14 hours later when the buzzards were getting bold enough that I could smell them, 89r showed back up with a pickup and no spark plug. He tried to trick me into using this fancy loading contraption he had made but I didn't fall for it. At least he did bring me a beer.
more later...

When I got back to the house, the wife had a couple of errands for me to run and then I got back and washed the truck. Oh yea, mowed the lawn and did a couple other things. Later, after dinner when we were sitting there watching tv, I kept thinking there was something else I had to do. :whoa:

Oh Yeah! Go pick up Gomer. :rotfl: By the time I got back, I couldn't find him. I noticed a large flock of buzzards circling overhead and after a little searching, I found him and poured a beer in his open pie-hole. It seemed to revive him and while I was taking the loading ramp out of the back of the truck, he picked up my CR2fitty in both arms and tossed it in the back of the truck. Wow! I was impressed. :nod: After a few more beers, he was back to his normal self.

Ivan.
Be careful. He's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAck. :laugh:

Top Bottom