2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
How hard is it to shuit the motor down and kick it over again???? Especially you lazy ass push button 4 strokers (couldn't resist). I argue with guys all the time who say why?? when we come across a horserider......and I always say "How @#$%^&* hard is it to restart your bike....@#$%head!!!! Really.... and the horsey riders always appreciate and thank you as they go by......praise is nice.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
alright! it finally took an ausie to weigh in with perfect sense.i like that.i'm with ya dude, i find it hard to believe that some knuckle head on a bike came back to finish the job tho, but hey, they're canucks so who knows.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
limitless, if my closest riding area was 4-5 hours away I would not own a horse or dirt bike.

Did you read the artical, he stated three times that the horse would spook and did, if it heard a bike and did not see it.

We obviously have a difference of opionin here, I feal the horse rider is partially at fault. If you bring a horse that spookes easly and you get dumped on your a$$ knowing there will be motor cycles around that is partialy your fault.

If you think I am stupid and senseless, that fine you are entitled to your opinion.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Erick82

If you think I am stupid and senseless, that fine you are entitled to your opinion.

Erick.

I don't think anyone thinks you are stupid or sensless. We think you are just a little uninformed or inexperienced on the subject of horses. May I recommend that you check around your area to see if there is a rental stable near by where you can go rent a horse. After you do that, you may realize how a horse rider feels when something goes wrong. Unless you put yourself in that position, it will be hard for you to understand what it feels like to be 6 to 8 feet in the air with a skittery horse dancing around underneath you.

Pred and MX727 nailed it. Horses have the right-of-way. They always have and always will. Many of the trails that we ride were originally made by horses. If it comes down to who gets to use the trails between the motorcycles and the horses. It will be the horses.

I personally prefer riding my motorcycle to my horse. At least my motorcycle doesn't have a mind of it's own. (Well sometimes it does.) :scream:

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Thanks Guys, I didn't think I'd raise such a ruckus with this issue. But hey I learned quite a bit here. The important lesson here is that we all have to GET ALONG! Respecting other groups and working with them will help preserve our riding areas. I do recall one group of horse owners volunteering to lend a motorcycle club some horses to help with trail cutting efforts in the interior. It's way easier to pack the trail cutting essentials on a horse than on a bike. (Essentials such as: shovels, picks, chainsaws and beer. Hey we're canadian!) The key point is, contrary to what the enviromentalists say, we ALL have a RIGHT to enjoy the outdoors. So we should make an effort to SHARE what we have.

Also in response to Erick82, if I aimed my DRZ at you and gunned it, you'd jump wouldn't you? It's called a survival instinct, funny how it kicks in when a perceived threat appears.

Mike / Team Grizzly

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Hey, I was just trying to present an alternative point of view here on this issue. I do not disagree that the guy on the motor bike was out of line and that we should share are trails. I do feal that these conflicts are not always intintional. If you are out ripping through the woods and you come up on some horses you are probly going to scare them whether you mean to or not. Causing a similar situation as above. Then as a group (dirt bikers)we will be blamed. I am all for sharing and possibly setting up times for different user groups to have trail access would be an option. That way horses don't have to worry about dirt bikers and dirt bikers don't have to worry about horses, just as long as it is fair.

So far in this discussion I have been refered to as stupid and senseless by limitless. ol89'r wants to stick me on one of those wild horses and team grizzly wants to run me over with his DRZ. From now on I am a yes man whatever you guys think about a topic I agree.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I actually agree with Erick.

I am glad they don't allow Horses and bikes on the same OHV trails at our riding areas. I am also glad that hikers and bicyclist have their own trails. It is hard enough to enjoy trail riding while manuevering around jeeps and ATVs much less stopping every tenth of a mile for hikers and horses.

There is no way to know what is around the next bend and bikes move a whole lot faster than horses. SO if they spook at the sight and sound of a bike, and you can't see them until you are on top of them, then it is likely that you can't get completely stopped or hit the kill switch in time so as not to spook them. Considering even some of the best trained/most mature horses will often spook at the sight of shadows and field mice, I think you are expecting a whole lot from motorized users to share all of their trails with huge numbers of horses. You can ride a horse along any rural road, in any open field, and in all kinds of public and private areas without grief (unlike the grief us OHV vehicle guys get even when riding on our own land.) If your only option is to ride in tight proximity with motorized vehicles, then your horse shouldn't be 'spooked by the sounds of bikes in the distance that you can't see.'

I agree that we should all try to get along, but don't tell me that it is a good idea to mix bike trails and horses (and then blame all of the problems on the bike people).

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Erick, how about this scenario? You've been riding your dirtbike, oh, 2 weeks. You live next door to a MX track. You going to ignore the MX track to find somewhere no one else rides? Didn't think so. You'll get used to the track & people, but there will still be the odd bike that gives ya the ****s. CR500's are the worst - you don't hear them coming in single track until they're next to you & give it a rev (yip, had it happen to me). He didn't mean to spook me, but he did. I can't be bothered holding a line if no one is behind me, I'll choose the best route & it may mean crossing over the trail at points, but if I know someone's there, I'll just go with whatever I've got ahead of me (does that make sense to anyone but me?)

Horses don't usually mind motorbikes, some may be a bit skittery but if they're going to be near bikes, they're usually not too bad. It's the odd one we have to watch out for (we, the motorcyclist). They can hear us coming, so the rider can turn them to face us or get the hell out of there fast. Mountain bikes give them the ****s as they don't hear them coming (both the rider & horse) & all of a sudden they're there (this is according to a horse rider I've met who runs a rental place).

The horse riders I meet will usually either ask me to wait till they're out of sight, figure out which way I'm going (so we don't head in the same direction), or tell me to keep going (depends on the horse). With me having killed the bike, they know that I'm not going to give it the berries as I go past them & it gets the horse used to bikes - I've even been allowed to pet some as I sit on the bike, helmet on (and to me, that is a cool feeling - I love horses/animals & sitting below them is freaky).

They've been good for some of the trails we've cut, they don't cut their own here - why should they, they use ours (would be nice if they did for a change). We respect them, they respect us, we co-exist - none of us want to be shut out the forests we ride.

No, not all conflicts are intentional, but the initial post tells us of one - this is the sort of thing we don't want to see. Unintentional happens.

As for agreeing all the time, that sounds like a boring thread ;)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
We have 7 horses, 5 kids, and god only knows how many motorcycles in this household. Interestingly enough they co-exist fine on our place. Our horses are damn near bomb proof as a result! As long as the motor vehicle (motorcycle, snow mobile, 4-wheeler, what ever) just moves in a consistent fashion our horses don't mind.....

We had one incident when we were on a family horse and motorcycle outing in Wyoming. My son was recovering from a horribly broken clavical and smashed hand...but decided being with the family would be better than staying home. A few days into the vacation he decided riding our quarter horse named "flash" would be low key enough. And did...

Our youngest girl was riding a Honda XR100 and was all excited to see him riding...went over to visit...and ran that Honda right into Flash who promptly gave Kyle a rodeo! Watching that casted arm waving around while Flast bucked and kicked was quit a show!

Kyle in the middle of all this turned to our other daughter who was also riding near by and asked: He is going to stop soon isn't he? In a total calm tone..and that generated more rodeo and eventually as things calmed down a bit of comic releif.

Moral of the story? Horses are better off with experience with motorised vehicles. Safer for everyone. Can't wrap them in Cotton all the time! Convesely stupid riding can really get folks hurt. Really bad.

As someone mentioned before, the entire out doors and off road community are under serious political attack. The sooner the equestrian groups and motorized offroad folks learn their fate is linked, the better off we all will be.

Top Bottom