Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
My question

"Effective" spring rate increased by cutting springs??

Lets say we have a shock spring 12 inches long with suspension travel of 12 inches and there is 1 inch between each coil.( numbers just for example ) If the spring is compressed to 6 inches then we have 1/2 inch between each coil , 50%. Now lets cut the spring to 9 inches in length , the same 6 inches of compression will give us 1/4 inch between coils at full compression , 75%. I see this as increasing the "effective rate" of a shock spring as we are going farther into the coils travel.

But what if we also shorten the suspension to match the shortened spring , then we would stay at the same % of coil compression wouldn`t we?? No increase in "effective" rate , the coils are not going to grow thicker or the metal change density because of the missing coils so is there really an increase in rate in this application? I don`t see an increase in effective rate if the travel is shortened to match the amount of spring removed. Right or wrong??

On a spring tester , YES , because we are measuring at a given 1 inch of compression and it would work like shortening the spring travel to match.

What if we measured spring rates at 10% compression of length instead of the given 1 inch , would a spring tester still show an increase in rate?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I say All yes and as I have tried this before only to end up replacing the spring with a bit shorter one .Normal rider with same spring rate , Only time lighter springs because we had lighter rider . If you cut down a spring or squash it with much preload , std length spring with shorter shock you will have too much preload and the bike will be short but stiff and not plush .

Top Bottom