tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
This trip was started in the North Texas SmackPack forum back in September. Of course there was many who wanted to go and then there were the ones who actually got the kitchen/work pass to make it happen. As it turned out, tx246(me), Lust450, Monk, Mudslinger, and three other riding regulars (Daryl, James, and his sonAlex) made the long haul to SE Oklahoma.

James and I decided to go up in the predawn hours of Friday morning instead of arriving late Thursday night and sleeping on the ground. The 4 hour trip was uneventful and we arrived at Talihina State Park at 9:00 with itchy throttle hands. We found Lust, Mudslinger et al and quickly formed a plan.

The trail we were riding on is called the Indian Nations Trail and is roughly 30 miles one way. It covers some nasty rocky terrain with lots of nice elevation changes. This time of the year, the fall colors are pretty amazing also. This trail is an out and back which means 60+ miles for the day. Its 10:00am now and I know we need to hit the trail pronto as it is a long day and as it turns out, Im the only one with a head light.

I chose to take my venerable 1986 xt600 dualsport as it had a headlight and is plated. Lust had his trusty ktm450, James and Alex were on kdx200s (with non functioning headlights doh!) Daryl had his million mile ktm200 exc and Mudslinger was on his wr250. For Alex, this is his first Men Only ride. He just turned 14 and was ready to go.

I was going to lead as i had the route on my gps. Route finding just out of the State Park can be challenging as there are many loops and trails not open to bikes. We finally make it to our FS road and the INT trail becomes much more defined once we drop in off the road. The terrain is ROCKY to the point that I would bet that you could do the 30 mile trail and your tire might touch dirt for 3miles. There are many sections that you can only navigate through the woods by looking at the marks on the trees. If your suspension is set up with the right highspeed compression, then rocks are no problem as long as you dont think about falling. I also put in LARGE air pressure. I really hate flats. Everybody in the group followed suit and Im happy to report no flats in two days riding among 12 tires and 130 miles of rim bending rocks.

We ride a couple 3-5 miles and take a break......repeat. We are making steady progress. We are about 4 miles from the end when Mudslinger takes a nosedive on a dirt downhill. As luck would have it, no rocks. He does tweak his shoulder and thumb. We take a break and let him catch his breath. Bikes fire up and we do the last 3mile section of the trail which is the most fun part of the whole deal. The trail is tight and windy with a little less rock. Lots of nice little ups and downs too. Before we know it we are at the trails end and we head into the little town of Muse for lunch and gas.

Like most little towns, the people of Muse make a living any way they can. Our lunch was had in the Gas Station/hardware/grocery/video store. The great grandfather of retail known as the General Store lives on. They had all the basics for the town covered. The burgers were awesome and Ive also had the excellent pancakes on other trips.

Its 2:30pm now, and Im looking at the clock as riding im factoring in the lightless bikes. Riding trail in the dark with no lights is no fun. Mudslinger has taken up my offer on the ibuprofin for his shoulder and has swelling in his thumb. He is concerned with his lack of grip. I offer up the xt600 as it is plated and highway worthy. Discretion is the better part of valor and Mudslinger decides to take me up on the offer. While he rides back via pavement, I get to ride his wr250.

We wave by to Muse and hit the trail. Navigation back is much simper as we had just been down it. Everbody is feeling it, and we make great time. The foliage is spectacular in the late afternoon light. Ive been a die hard two stroke fan for my off road stuff. I usually ride an off roaded cr250, but im liking this wr. It has great torque, and gets with it when it gets on the cam. I think I might like to have one of these things. The first 20 miles go quickly. Navigation around a horse resort is tricky and with a little backtracking we make it back by 4:45 with plenty of daylight left. Mileage for the day with my less than perfect navigation had us at 72 miles.

Its not long before we are grabbing beers/whisky&coke and looking for chairs to plop in. A fire breaks out to keep us warm. Mudslinger cooks up some stir fry while others cook brats and other various meat bearing animals. Life is good. Like all good campfires, the stories are big and funny. The days ride makes all a bit ready for some sleep as we have another day of riding to go. Ill save Day 2 for another time.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Excellent report :cool:

Am I understanding right that you guys took the same trail back as the one going out?

As I'm sure you guys saw, we ended up with 2 flats on our journey. Well, really it was 5, but puncturing tubes when changing flats doesn't count, does it? :rotfl:

We picked up the continuance of the INT loop after leaving Muse that day and ended up having to take a few county roads back to beat the sunset. No flats on the return trip, woo hoo! That was my first trip out there and I was not looking forward to the rocks after the first mile, but the riding just got better and better as I got comfortable. I'll definitely be up that way again.

Good call on you taking the DS, definitely comes in handy if someone needs to jet back to camp for any reason. We hung out with Muddslinger a bit on day 2 to explore some local trails. Found a few short loops, but I'd like to know what else is out there close.

I'm anxious to hear about your day 2 :nod:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Sounds like a good time. Everyone that I had talked to about going down with ended up not being able to go and it seemed like a long ways to go by myself especially considering that I had a 15K run the following Saturday followed by an Enduro the next day. Hopefully we can do it this next spring.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
cool report, it almost makes me wish that i liked trail riding---almost. i should just show up for the campfire part.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
That's a good report. My dad and I have never actually made it all the way to Muse. The last time we went my bike was acting up, otherwise I think we would have made it.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Maps

I scannned in some maps that we picked up from the tourist center up there. One is of the INT and the other is of the general Ouachita and Stair Case Mountain trail area. There is also a page of trail information. They are in .jpg format so I should be able to upload them to the photo section. I will try to make this happen this weekend and will make a posting to let everyone know.

Nice write up. I like the part where I eat dirt on the down hill.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
lust,

i did get a few pics but they were all on day two. didnt you take some pics with a throwaway?

Top Bottom