rob3273

Sep 23, 2005
hello everyone, I ran my first mx race this past Sunday, not too bad I guess other than my crash in practice LOL. There is this tight turn and right out of the turn a small double, i've jumped this double many of times on practice nights and had no trouble. I usually shift to 3rd out of the turn and it goes over smooth, but that day the track was very wet and as I was coming out of the turn in my mind I was thinking, if I shift to 3rd i'll not get enough rpms to make the jump so I left it in 2nd and rolled out of the turn. Right as I hit the up ramp the powerband hit and before I could think, I was looped out and on the ground (pretty hard I might add, LOL) I always thought to myself, if I wreck I hope it is backwards instead of endo because it won't hurt as bad, man was I wrong, LOL. I've got a huge not above my knee and it's a pretty purplish black color and my shoulder muscles are sore, LOL. My first crash, so i'm thankfull that it wasn't worse. Anyhow, should I have stayed in 3rd and tried to jump it underpowered or was it my inexperience not being able to control the bike jumping in the powerband? I always jump in 3rd, just because it seems to be more controlled to me. I've seen guys jump in 2nd though, how do they do it and keep from looping out like I did? I ride a 98 CR 125. Sorry for making this so long, I just like sharing my experiences with everyone. I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!!

Rob

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm pretty inexperienced myself, but from what I've learned (from class) and experienced, it's much easier to jump in a higher gear with less throtte than a lower one with more.

Also, if you're reved out when you hit the jump that seems to cause that loop out. I've never been taught this, but sometimes if I'm reved out and let off the gas right as I'm going off the jump it keeps it nice and level or even front wheel down.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
You just haven't done it enough, and you didn't know how to react. You just need more time on the bike. Your best bet is to be in the powerband before you are on the jump face. You don't want the bike to come on the pipe during a jump, it's fine as long as you are in the powerband before you hit the jump.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Masterphil said:
You just haven't done it enough, and you didn't know how to react. You just need more time on the bike. Your best bet is to be in the powerband before you are on the jump face. You don't want the bike to come on the pipe during a jump, it's fine as long as you are in the powerband before you hit the jump.

I wonder if this makes it easier to sometimes jump on a 4 stroke as a beginner??

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Absolutely! The bad thing about that is, your skills will remain underdeveloped compared to a rider who starts out on a 2-stroke.

rob3273

Sep 23, 2005
Thanks alot guys for all the info!!!! I learn alot here. I'm getting all 7 volumes of Gary Semics videos, are these good to learn from?

Rob

Top Bottom