Dbeast

Aug 24, 2002
I know nothing about KTM, not even what all there line of bikes are. I went to there website and couldn't download the brochures so obviously I have alot of questions. I'm want to get back into dirt bikes and need something cheap. I want a trail bike, like a KDX not a KX. I like a controlable powerband. I've had dikes before but wouldn't consider myself an expert. I had a 78 Suz DS185, 96 DR650, 91 RM250 (for a few months, wow).

Here is what started this.
"The KTM is a 1993 EXC (enduro model) I know it needs front brakes and a little "going over", it hasn't been ridden in a few years. I think he was looking for somewere close to $1000, he has a lot of spare stuff."

1. Can someone tell or link me to a description of what the different models are and are good for?
2. Is this a good price?
3. Is this a good bike for me? Wrong section I know.
4. Do they hold together wel or will this thing need a total rebuild?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Chris

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
It would be a good bike if kept up halfways decent. I thought the earlier 250's actually had a stronger hit than the ones today from riding a friend's earlier KTM a couple times. The axle mounts on the forks broke on his, but can easily be re-welded. Check them for cracks. Otherwise, it should be a good bike.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Know this before taking the dive, you said "cheap" and I can assure you parts for an early KTM are anything but cheap. Most everything will have to come from the dealer and that will include a good wait in most instances. Any flaws as far as suspension or engine can be solved by a good tuner (Eric Gorr & MX Tech come to mind :) ). I think it could be a good trail bike for you just keep in mind the parts issues and remember KTM's were never intended as "trail bikes" but as full on race bikes, at least with the EXC your starting with as close as the get to trail bikes. This may sound mostly negative but I loved my KTM, it was a super bike but it was in no way a trail bike but a race bike that could be ridden on the trails with some sacrafice. :thumb:

Dbeast

Aug 24, 2002
So the KTM is more of an RMX then? A moto engine with a heavier flywheel and a little detuned? The KDX is more of a softer bike by design.

How is the price?

I rode my RM on a trail while I was in Alaska and hated it, tight trails with an explosive on/off powerband really sucked. My DR was great once jetted, piped, filter, and the airbox was cut, but it was heavy. When I got here I sold the DR because all there is here is sand.

RHNASON

May 27, 2002
I wouls strongly agree , and disagree , I went from riding wr250 Huskies 15 years ago, Marrage house dog kids , and I`m back, I `ve bought a couple of bikes before buying a 250 exc pumpkin , and I was not even close to happy, In comes a EXC and what a great trail bike , the Hit is there, and It will grunt it out almost as well as a XR200 in the tight stuff, just feather the clutch, I ride the Tight ROCKY Stuff , It`s very light weight and somewhat forgiving, Although I ride with guys who are on KDX 220 `s and they go very well for alot cheaper, Katooms are kinda more money for the parts..
RHNason

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
KDX is a good bike for woods work but the KTM your looking at is part of the 93-97 series. Similar motor and frame with adjustments and refinements along the way. In good condition it an excellent woods or race bike. Nice power linear delivery. Easy to use and fast. I say go for it. A little adjustemnt and you'll love it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Not really like a RMX since that is a MX'er brought to the woods. Until recent times KTM's were woods racers that work on the MX track more or less. It should be easier than your RMX but it will never be a KDX which depending on what your wanting could be good or bad. If you want a nice easy trail ride every now and then picj up a XR 250 or 400 and you'll not be spinning many wrenches AND have a real trail bike. If you like a little more snap and to mix oil & gas then then KDX. If your willing to live with something that is a little more like your RMX than a pure trail cruiser then the KTM will be it and then some.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
You get what you pay for. I would be scared of a $1000 dirtbike that needs "a little going over", you could end up with a $3000 rolling money siphon. Most bikes that cheap are going to need more than a little TLC to make them safe and reliable. And a bike that has been sitting for a few years can deteriorate from the inside out pretty badly if it wasn't stored properly. And people tend to forget what was wrong with the bike when they parked it after time passes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom