INFO: Lowering Links for a '88-'94 KDX 200

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I was interested in lowering links for my 94 KDX 200 and of course got in touch with Mr. Kouba.

Unfortunately the very nice Mr. Kouba had bad news for me. They do not make a Koubalink for the 1994 and earlier models. My buddy had just purchased a 2001 220 and had a spare set he was willing to part with, and I turned back to the man to get his opinion. He confirmed that the lowering links for the more contemporary bike would be the same length (128mm) as mine had stock, and since that was the longest link he manufactured for a KDX it would do nothing for me.

I was dissapointed but thought, I've been riding it this tall for two seasons, may as well stick with it, until I got a second email from him with an idea! He suggested that I order a set of stock links from a 2003 Suzuki V-STROM-1000 (DL1000)
and bore the holes out to 15mm. A Street bike? A Crotch rocket?? "A SUZUKI???!" "Yes!" he said "They are exactly 140mm and have smaller holes, but easily bored from 12mm to 15 on any standard drill press! Not only that, they are the same thickness as a stock KDX dogbone, so I should be golden!

I called up Bike bandit and had a set ( I think about $40 bucks) shipped right away.

Took the links to my local bike shop since I dont have a press, and for $5 he had them bored out for me.

Got them back from him and 30 minutes later..voila! I can now sit on the seat (I am 5'9 with a 29" inseam) with my feet nearly FLAT on the floor. They lowered the back of my bike about 1". Very nice.

I have a couple of minor complaints... The tailpipe has been "brushed" since the change (I'm also 200lbs), and I audibly heard the tire hit my fender twice on my last visit to the Paragon (I mainly do woods, rocks, and single track up there)

I think a heavier rear spring and maybe some minor tweaking (Including sliding the tubes up the triple clamp in front) will be perfect.

All in all, I strongly recommend this for our vertically, or at least inseam challanged friends out there in the ether!

:clue:

Here is the link for the part.. (Part #13) $13.95 each x 2 + shipping:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...el_dept_id~1253800~model_dept_name~DL1000.asp

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Reviving an old post, but I found this interesting. so BUMPIDDY BUMP. I'm going to scour ebay, and failing all else purchase these new. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs. I can handle the tall bikes, but getting on and getting them started is the trouble. No problem when i'm parked beside the trailer, but when I drop it in the woods and have to find a good spot to climb back on and kick it over, that's a bit frustrating.

THANKS DAVE!!!

J.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
julien_d said:
Reviving an old post, but I found this interesting. so BUMPIDDY BUMP. I'm going to scour ebay, and failing all else purchase these new. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs. I can handle the tall bikes, but getting on and getting them started is the trouble. No problem when i'm parked beside the trailer, but when I drop it in the woods and have to find a good spot to climb back on and kick it over, that's a bit frustrating.

I hear ya'!
But, is lowering the bike that much giving up too much in the way of suspension travel??
I am also 5'6" and have the same issue re-starting the bike as you......

AND....who is Mr. Kouba?????

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
mr kouba...

http://www.koubalink.com/

Has lowering links for many bikes. Lowering should not affect the travel, except that under extreme compression the rear tire could bump into the rear fender. Overall travel will not be comprimised, and with a KX style rear fender I don't think clearance on the fender would be an issue.

Top Bottom