rcers

Jan 17, 2001
My son is driving me nuts about getting him a Honda 50 pit bike for X-mas!!
We cant afford to spend that kind of cash on a x-mas gift so we have been looking at some of the Honda 50 lookalikes on ****.Man, there are a tons of companys selling all kinds of brand new lookalikes from old Z50's to CRF 50 lookalikes for under $500.00.Most all of these companys are from California and they do not give a company name or any info about themselves.We have been doing alot of differnt internet searchs(different engines and keywords) trying to find information on companys selling these bikes with no luck.Other than ****,its almost like there is a BLACK HOLE on these bikes?I am pretty much a firm believer in the old saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR",but at this point I am on a mission to find out if they are decent pit bikes or JUNK.I assume they wont be as durable as a HONDA but would they be good enough to cruise the pits on?
When you look at the pictures they really look like the real things with some very minor differences.One of the differences that I have noticed is the right side case on some models are slightly different than the Honda.Another difference on some models is the swingarm gusset near the rear wheel has a slightly different shape.
My reason for posting on this message board is to find out if anyone has any experience or info on these these LOOKALIKES and or any info on the dealers selling them.(It would be a real bummer to buy one from California,pay a couple hundred dollars shipping and it not run correctly or be a pile of crap!)
THANK YOU
PS If your not comfortable replying on this board,please feel free to email me at
rcers538@insightbb.com

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Most of these bikes are made in China. The engines look different because they are all a variation on the Honda design but not an actual Honda product. One company I believe is Jailing-Honda which produces the closest version in both interchangable parts with actual Honda pieces as well as reasonable quality. Most of these bikes have cast gears and the pieces are generally produced to a much lower tolorance in both dimension and material quality. Will they work? Sure. Are they fun heck yeah. Will they last as long as the real thing? Heck no! Yes it will come down to a getting what you paid for but if you want cheap fun and don't expect it to last 10 years then it might be the right choice.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you might try finding a used mid 90's z-50 not quite the same but they last forever. I rode our 1969 z50 with my kid til just about 2 years ago. It was my dads from original. stock bottom end never rebuilt. I smoked a valve but its still decent. you just can't kill them so I would not feel too bad about getting one a few years older.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can find these chinese bikes at Pep Boys auto parts. Don't pay to ship one of them.
They even have the 80cc models for a little more. (same bike...w/bore kit)

If it were me, I'd buy a Honda. When he grows out of it...you can always proceed to trick it out for yourself.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
id definately look in local cycle magazines for a used z50, my friend has a 1998 model and we drive the heck out of it and it still runs gret and wont break no matter what, never even had a part on the engine changed, besides an oil change.
im thinking you can find a used late 90's for about 5-6 houndred, maybe less

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I bought a "Jianshe" PW80 look alike for my boy 2 years ago. It was about $200 less than a real one.

So far the only PW80 parts that I've found are different is the plastic. I've used PW80 forks, front wheel, and swingarm so far. They all look the same to me. The reason they needed replaced is that the poor thing gets VERY abused.

Fortunately, the engine hasn't needed any attention.

freightrain

Nov 17, 2004
I picked up a chinese version of the xr50 from an online dealer for $650 plus $100 for shipping, and so far I'm pleased. The frame and swingarm are exactly the same as the honda. The plastics are a little different, but not much. It came with Z50 forks and wheels. I replaced the forks with xr50 forks with hd springs and bushings, and I may get around to the wheels eventually. They actually sell some sweet snowblower tires on that auction site that fit the 8" rims and have nice nobbies.The motor fired right up first kick and has been running strong since. The nice thing is that is has an electric start is prewired for lights with switches and everything. The only problem I ran into is that when I tried to replace the shifter with a longer version, the XR aftermarket shifter hit the magneto cover, so I was stuck with the one it came with. I anm not afiliated with any dealers or manufacturers, just relating my experience so far. When the engine goes, which I'm sure it will eventually, I will probably replace it with a used Honda. At least now my daughter has a new bike, and I'm $500+ ahead of the game. :yeehaw:

freightrain

Nov 17, 2004
Update: Tranny went after about 10 miles of riding! :bang:
Not completely, but it won't stay in 1st gear. Luckily the dealer said he'll replace the motor with a new one. I shipped it out today. Bad news is it cost $50 to ship and will likely cost the same on the way back. Then I'm still stuck with a motor that may not last long. At least it has a hook up for lights and electric start. If I could do it again I would buy a used '01 Honda for under $800. :(

CTurbo

Oct 30, 2001
I rode one and it shifts in the wrong direction (down for upshifts). I dont know if all are the same or if some japanese model have the same pattern. I ended up buying a new KLX 110 for my peace of mind, but any bike is better than no bike. I trail ride with 3 chinese bikes and they are holding up OK.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
These things are amazing but there are some bad ones out there. I've worked closely with the mfg to make sure the areas of concern are addressed. Stuff like, better suspension, heavy duty spokes, better air filters, disc brakes. In the beginning when I was ordering them I had problems with wheels, and front brakes. I've got all of that ironed out now and they are great.
Yes mine also have the rotary style 4 speed transmission and it's a bit awkward at first but once you get the hang of it I think it's better than the traditional shift. Just my opinion though. One of the best things is, most of the knockoffs are completely interchangeable with Honda parts. If you wanted to step up to a bigger bore, just go to your local honda shop and get it and it bolts right up no problems.. I've done lots of stuff to mine.
But the absolute best part is you can get a bike that looks identical to a Honda XR or CRF 50, but has a 72cc bore, 4 speed tranny, disc brake, better suspension, better exhaust and a lot more for only $500 out the door.. You can blow 3 of these up before you get to the cost of an XR.. I've been dogging mine for sometime, and so have my customers and noone has ruined one yet.. I've got a pro rider that has bought 2 (one for him and one for a gift) and is about to buy another. He swears by them..
They are like any bike.. If you take care of it, it will last..

fiveo

Jun 10, 2002
Chinese= junk..... Get yourself a honda card and pay it off as soon as possible. Honda xr50 is the only way to go... The 4 speed tranny is poop in those bikes..and better suspension hahahhaahahha it's usually a xr70 knock off that is worthless..and yes Java is right you will blow up 3 of these chinese crap bikes before a xr50...the honda will last forever... Do some real research on www.planetminis.com or www.stuntlife.com

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I remember when Honda's were considered junk and and a big twin was the only way to go. Times change and products evolve.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
wayneo426 said:
Javo do you have any links or info on those bikes your talking about?

Yes I'm sorry I just noticed this..

If you want to advertise on DRN just get with Okie. - Patman

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom