djmixerman

Nov 11, 2003
I have some questions about this bike. I am looking to get a bike I can use on the track and the trail, something that can jump a 20-30 foot double but still handle enduro races well. I think this might be the bike for me. I have been comparing this bike to the new Honda CRF250X and wanted some help in making my decision. I pretty much narrowed it down to Honda or Yamaha.

1.) What years has the WR250F been around? Can you tell me the major differences between the years and why I should get a certain year over another year? I want to stay away from years that might have problems with the bike ya know.

2.) I want to perferably spend no more than about 3K on a bike, but if the new Honda CRF250X is going to be sooo much better than the WR250F then I WILL take a little loan and buy new. I just want a good bike. So can you compare them and let me know what you think about the 4-stroke Yamahas versus the 4-stroke Hondas?

3.) How much do you think I can get a GOOD CONDITION used WR250F for? What year would this have to be most likely? I live in New Jersey if that matters.

4.) How would the stock WR250F handle and jump on an MX track compared to the YZ250F or YZ125?

5.) How does the WR250F handle in the trails? Is it better than a KDX200 or some of the hard to find used KTM EXC bikes?

I just want to be sure to get a bike that is a GOOD bike that is very VERSITLE and I can use on both track and enduro trail races. I compared the WR250F against the WR450F and they seem pretty much the same thing, just with more power and weight. I don't need something this big so that's why I am thinking the WR250F is good. I am 6'2" and 175lbs.

I will be very interested in what others have to say about these 4-strokers.. thanks!

Workman

Oct 26, 2003
I cant tell you anything about the new Honda. But I have owned a 94 KLX250 four stroke, a 99 RM 125, and an 03 WR250F. The WR250F began being produced in 2001. The 01 and 02 model had little change from year to year. The 03 had electric start and they flattened the seat and tank which made it feel more like a motocrosser. I loved my first two bikes and would have loved the WR except I had a lot of problems with it. And unless you can find an 03 WR used, you will pay almost as much as you would for the Honda. Anyway, if you get a WR you have to do the free modifications because it is very restricted. When my WR ran, it ran very well. It has a great suspension and plenty of power. However, it does not have hit as the YZ250F despite the fact that they have the same engine. I did the mods on my WR and put a Pro Moto Billet pipe insert on it and it ran much better. But it sheered a woodruff key in the engine and had a few other problems with it that shouldn't have happened. The woodruff key problem was the same problem they had with the WR450. Most people I have talked to love their WR, but mine was nothing but headaches. The worst part of it all is that the engine problems occurred at 99 miles and only had 4 rides on it. And I do not abuse my bikes. However, I was more disgusted with how I was treated by Yamaha than I was with all of the problems. My dealer was great and tried to help get Yamaha pay for the repairs since the bike was so new. Yamaha would not recognize the problem as a product defect. After being thoroughly insulted by Yamaha, I sold the bike. I am probably one of only a few incidents of this nature. I did talk to a few people that had similar probs. I sold it because after paying $5600 for the bike I couldn't afford to keep paying for repairs on it. By the way, I am going to pick up my next bike, a 2002 KDX200 on Saturday.

Workman

Oct 26, 2003
I picked up my KDX 200 last Saturday and took it for a ride on Sunday. The only thing I can say is that if I had known how much fun the KDX was going to be I would have saved myself about $3000 that I spent on buying and repairing my 2003 WR250F. The bike runs great! It rides like my old 125 two stroke only with a ton of low end power. I lugged it up steep hills all afternoon with no problems at all. Of course the bike is heavier than the 125, and probably not a whole lot lighter than my WR250, but it carries its weight much lower and doesn't feel as tippy in corners. Also, I really like the throttle response and that wheel spin you get from a two stroke. The WR immediately put all of its power to the ground and did not spin much. Sometimes that is really good, but if you are not ready for it and the bike really hooks up in a corner it can really throw you around. I am extremely happy with the ride of my KDX and happy that repairs will likely be much cheaper. Again, good luck on your decision.

Top Bottom