Information on TM enduro bikes 1996+

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi All,
I am currently in the market for a good enduro/woods bike after selling my Honda cr250. I have 2000 to spend. I was looking for a good GasGas ec250 or Ktm exc250 from around 1996 and up. They are both extremely rare and expensive here in Ireland. However the main TM dealer here is a very nice person and told me that he had a good 1996 Tm250e for sale missing the lights. I am having trouble finding info on this and any Tm bikes, what is the 1996 enduro bike like? He told me its pink and black is it possible to put the newer plastice on it? What are they like in comparison toGG and Ktm of similar year? I will be riding beginner Harescrambles, Enduro and Grasstrack. Hope someone can help quick as thease bikes sell fast!

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
No idea on the plastics but your dealer should be able to help.
I've got an 02 TM 250mx with 18 inch rear wheel, enduro top gear and enduro fuel tank. Not sure how this compares to the earlier bikes but I love mine. It has over 200 hours on it and I haven't had to split the cases yet. Absolutely stunning bike to ride, feels more like the GG than the KTM ergo wise and the motor is a hoot. Some people didn't like the Paoli forks on the earlier bikes but I can't comment on them. Not sure if this helps but I wouldn't let the fact that they are a bit rare put you off.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
The 96 was the begining of the next generation of TMs. Then in 99/00 another change occured, new frame and updates to the motors. We had a 97 125 E that was awesome. We now have a 2001 and 2003 125E. The Paioli conventional forks are good for offroad and can be set up good. For MX they are limited for use by a faster rider. The Paioli USD forks are Kayaba 46mm just like a YZ/KX. They can be made very nice.

As with any older bike, check it out good. The TM is pretty well built and most parts are still plentiful. KX/YZ plastics work in a pinch. CR250 clutch plates may work or you can convert the complete assembly to the 03 version. Bearings are all standard sizes. Linkage seals can be replaced with large orings like the new models.

Good luck.

IMO $2000 in the USA is alot for a 96. I paid 2000 for the 01 TM125E we just got. It needed wheel bearings, fork/shock rebuilt, caliper seal, otherwise it is clean..real clean.

www.bakerbroscycle.com has info and links to a few good TM sites.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks for all the comments...i saw the bike for the first time today!1996tm250e It is still the pink model with the black tank and excel rims. The bike is in exceptional order just needing new front pads drom what i can see! It started 2nd kick cold and felt and looked very like the GasGas of the same year(97?). Is it possible to fit newer rad scoops onto thhe bike if so what? I will probably snap the bike up for $1500 and if you know how will change the plastics to a diff colour. Hope you can help again,
Cheers

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
As of last October the Blue shrouds were availible from TM. UFO did make plastic on the european market but did not import to the USA. The rear fender is a mid 90's KX and the front fender is from a newer YZ. the seat and base is also KX. I may have 2 old 97 shrouds if you are stuck. If I got them then just pay the shipping, you can have them.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Cheers...did you have the 1996 bike? I just purchased it for $1400. It seems like a great bike....lets hope i enjoy it. What did you think of it....and is it still competative for beginner harescrambles and motox? Also any idea if i can get parts online?
Is it possible to purchase all blue plastics for the 96 bike from tm or is it just the rads? Thanks again!

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Never had the 96 model. I had the 97. A few locals had the pink bikes.

Here are some pics. I think the blue plastic can go on. Parts on line??? not really. Ask your dealer, he can order anything from the factory or your importer. In Canada there is www.barkerbroscycles.com and Mike's in Germany.

Attachments

• 250e96.jpg
    250e96.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 250e97.jpg
    250e97.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,750

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks very much....yeah they look like the same lets hope i can get my hands on them! I tried barkerbros but it seems as there page is down! How did you find your 1997 they are the same bike just a different colour?? Was your reliable? I am about to become a member of this site so when i do i will post a bick of my new bike.....(Saturday Week). Thanks Once Again for all the help.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Found the 97 TM125E on the East Coast Enduro assoc forums. It was bought as a backup bike for the 97 Isde's for a local rider. It was taken apart and airplaned overseas for that event. It came back reassembled and lurked around doing a few enduros and harescrambles.

My son road it in 2002 to a impressive 4th place final finish in our district's "B" class at 12 years old. He opened up last season with that bike before our 03 came in. He won the first 2 events on it. We sold it to a local trail rider. He smoked the clutch which is normal for an inexperienced 125 rider but since has raced it a few times and is still riding it. So it is competitive and reliable to start off racing on.

Enjoy your new ride.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks Very much i hope too. And if i am having trouble getting the plastics i would love to buy you old ones off you. Thanks Steve.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Radiator shrouds on 94-96 TM are Suzuki RM 93-95, but you have to cut away a bit from them. Available in black, white and yellow.
Rear fender and numberplates are KX parts.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks TM-FRANK, Do you have any idea on where i could get a review or riders comments on this bike? I got the bike today and although have not ridden it yet i am very pleased!

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Well, I have one. I bought it new in March 96 and rode it till Summer 2002. Then I bought the 02 300.
What you say about the GG being a copy oft the TM holds some truth. In the early nineties GasGas bought 250 engines for their earlier models until in 97 or so they had their own one ready. They definetely took a close look at the TM engines. The first own GG motors were very similar to them.
TM hasn't changed that much on the 250 engine. There are new cylinders, pistons and powervalves around now but lots of parts are still the same now.
Weak points of the 250 engine are from my experience:

Water pump impeller: Plastic part (said to be identical with the one KTM uses) with a cast in brass nut. When the engine gets too hot the impeller can break apart. Should be checked now an then.

Clutch basket: The basket is a cast part and not of very high durability. When you ride with a lot of clutch feathering prepare to buy two per season. They are cheaper than japanese or austrian ones, though. Clutch plates & springs are Honda CR250R btw.

Stay away from the Vertex piston for that bike! There seems to be something wrong with that piston. TM used them as OEM pistons in 94 and 95 and swapped to forged Asso pistons in 96 because the Vertex often shattered at the piston skirt. The Vertex are a lot cheaper than the forged ones but a lot of dealers and the german importer warned me about using them and I know at least three riders who wrecked their engines with them.
(Before anybody says anything: There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vertex pistons for other bikes, it seems to be a problem with this single product only)

There is a Yahoo group called "TM-Rider". There are some files like parts catalogues, suspension manuals etc.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks for the Help! Good Luck with your new bike....i am really glad that i bought the bike off the owner i did...he is a motorbike restorer and he paints motorbikes for the British Superbike Championship....like the championship that Hayden came in from in the US to go to Motogp. I will search for the group and hope i can join....thanks again for all the help.

Would you have any reccommendations on base fork and shock settings....i will be riding 70%mx track and 30%harescrambles! Thanks

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
blanc

as far as plastics go you should be able to fit '94 to '98 Kawasaki KX125/250 or Gas Gas up to 2000 rear number boards, & both mudguards as they are the same as your TM. This will give you the choice of Black, white or green from the KX range and red blue or yellow from the Gasser range. KX stuff is easilly available by mail order from larger parts catalogues like Off Road Only or Race Spec from UFO Polysport Acerbis etc and quite cheap too. Gasser ones are cheap at about £8 to £9 for side panels and £12 to £14 mudguards undecalled!
You may even find that earlier Gasser rad scoops fit - they certainly look similar. You can probably find old pix of gassers on the web which should confirm the rad scoops. Try the Motomerlin web site I think they have some older pix?
good luck.

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
Blanc

Sorry but I mislead you slightly on my last post - the KX front mudguard is different shape to the TM but it will fit. Gasser ones are same shape as Yam YZ/WRF and again will fit TM.
Clear as mud!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Thanks Guys....Yeah you are right the GasGas of my dads is virtually identical to that of my Tm, the rear is the exact same, radscoops fit with ease(Modify hole and guide slightly). I have just put on Yellow 1995 Suzuki radscoops, ordered a Black KX rear fender and a black front fender for a gasgas and have a black and yellow gripper seat cover. Hope i can find a simple graphic kit to fit now.
I have to replace the frontsprocket seal, is this a difficult job?

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Never had the 96 model. I had the 97. A few locals had the pink bikes.

Here are some pics. I think the blue plastic can go on. Parts on line??? not really. Ask your dealer, he can order anything from the factory or your importer. In Canada there is www.barkerbroscycles.com and Mike's in Germany.
Nice looking KYZ, or YZX, lol, cool bike, looks like fun!!!!

Top Bottom