Welcome to DirtRider.Net
FREE FORUM MEMBERSHIP and NO ADVERTISEMENTS.
TURN-OFF THE ADS!

injured collar bone/shoulder-should i see a doctor?

Website
www.svmatch.com
should i see a doctor?

i had a third gear get off at the dunes a couple of days ago and i hurt my collar bone/shoulder. i was able to ride back to my truck afterwards. i seem to have a full range of motion albeit painful. i am not sure if it is broken or not. is the fact that i can move my arm a good indicator of it not being broken? i cannot feel any breaks, the pain comes from where the clavicle and shoulder meet. i don't want to see a doctor if it is just a bruise so i am trying to get opinions (from those of you that have broken one). if you all think i should see an MD/DO should i make an appointment directly with on ortho or go to a general practitioner?

i have been wearing a sling and i cannot put any real pressure on that arm or shoulder. i can barely feel it (pain)when i take deep breaths. i can't feel any breaks or grinding when i move my arm.

Last edited:

SpDyKen

Lifetime Sponsor
I am not a Dr., BUT, I don't play one on TV, or the computer.

I've separated my shoulder, broken both of my collar bones, and torn up my knee. Every time I wanted to go to a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis of what was wrong so I could recover quickly, and 100%. It's worked so far; I strongly recommend this approach. Good luck!

What do you think you orta do bro? I busted some lower ribs a couple months ago and never went to the DOc, the only reason I didn't is because they where low on the left side and I still have some discompfort but have been told that it is basic whit rib injuries to cause discomfort for years after.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
Website
Visit site
i usually go to the doctor if something is out of place, hurts real bad, or bothers me for more than a week.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Website
www.paulscycleky.com
Don't be STUPID.... when in doubt always see a doc and get a few pic's. The younger you are the more important it is and never go full speed upon returning until your 100%... can't cheat your body, it'll win everytime.

ps. broke mine, 3 months in the sling thing never did heal. Shoulder started to drop and "shorten"... next thing you know I have a piece of my leg completing the colarbone... SEE THE DOC
Good Luck...

sounds like you sprained your shoulder or suffered a grade one separation. you should get it checked out though. I had a grade one this summer than three weeks later grade three...still recovering

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
Website
www.d14enduro.org
mojonito - Curious as to what ever happened with your shoulder... what was the diagnosis, treatment, and recovery time?

I suffered a class II-III separated shoulder last weekend, and am hearing more and more of guys with a class I-II who still go out riding and end up with a III-IV and requiring surgery.

Website
www.svmatch.com
I broke it. You can see the callus on xray but it wasn't displaced so it healed well. Took 6 or 8 weeks. I should have at least gotten an xray but I. Didn't for some stupid reason or another. I was lucky.

I broke it. You can see the callus on xray but it wasn't displaced so it healed well. Took 6 or 8 weeks. I should have at least gotten an xray but I. Didn't for some stupid reason or another. I was lucky.
OK, this is an ancient post, but as further info, here's a word of warning. I did the same to my shoulder 26 years ago, and didn't get it fixed. I was fine after a few months, but slowly got weaker and weaker in the shoulder, and my arm started heading southwards. Most nights I maybe get two or three hours sleep, and I wake up moaning or screaming with pain. Doctors say it's too late, there's nothing they can do. I take painkillers.

That saying, 'be careful, you'll pay for it when you get older ' isn't a myth.

Find PARTS, TOOLS & GEAR Close-outs and Deals from multiple dealer inventories.
Try It!