Injured While Wearing Knee Braces?

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Last September I tore my left medial meniscus ligament while on a training run of all things. I thought I had just sprained it at the time but it never healed so I finally had an MRI and there it was.

I'm 40 and have been running since high school and my doc said my right knee was "loose" too and might be ready to go so I came out of the office with a perscription for braces for both knees.

In my gut, I think braces while riding are a good idea but my doc and other doctors and studies I've heard people mention here say they may do more harm than good. My gut tells me to get them and wear them, I ride hare scrambles mostly.

So I just have one question: Has anybody out there broke a femor or tibia or had a severe knee injury while wearing quality braces? The answer to this seems to be the acid test, doesn't it?

Dec 15, 2001
Jeffw

I just had a severe knee injury in Feb.(see SEVERE KNEE INJURY topic below). oth my doctor and therapist said that braces may have hurt me worse, bone wise anyway. I think it just really depends on the type of impact. I know if I'm ever able to ride again, I'll take my chances with a pair on!

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
You know what they say about opinions and butts , but here is my Ortho's opinion on braces . After I tore my ACL and meniscus in my left leg I asked him about using a brace for sports. He told me braces do very little to protect you from injury but they may make you more comfortable while healing . He stated that it takes only a slight movement in the wrong direction to damage knee ligaments . He is also of the opinion that strong legs are the best deterrent to knee injuries ( or re- injury ) . I have followed his advice and can tell you that I am 4 years post op and my knee works fine . Never owned a brace . Good luck with your recovery .

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Years ago skiers were cursed with leather boots that laced up and came up to just over the ankle. They were very flexible and ankle injuries were commonplace. These days boots have improved drastically, nice and stiff and go well up the lower leg. Ankle injuries are a thing of the past, but knee injuries are the killer. The more you stiffen up one area, the more the stresses get transfered to another. But if your goal is to protect an already fragile knee, it may be worth the risk. Bones heal better than ligaments and tendons.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have to agree with DVO, bones heal quicker than ligaments. I have injuries to both knees and I ride with braces. I know that they have saved me some time off the bike, just slamming my right foot down hard without the braces leaves me limping for a week, swollen and sore. I ride without much pain with braces. As far as the bone versus ligament deat, Ihave not broken a leg bone, bit I did just break my hand. After four weeks in the cast the bone is healed and ready to go, the only part of the injury that is still bothersome is the finger i dilocated and partially tore a ligament in. I'm not a MD and my experience is all Ive got to base it on ,but I would say wear the braces.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Thanks for the replys. Since I have good insurance for this kind of thing and since my MRI ate my deductible, I'm going to get a pair. My orthotist can't get the Asterisk Cell because they only sell to non-med people which is something I still can't understand though I've seen posts trying to explain why.

I'm going with Bledsoe Cage braces which are the perscription version of the XO-Skelaton Rage from what I can figure.

I'll try them for a while and see if they give me the warm fuzzy everybody talks about.

I think dirtbkr's is right on about strong leg muscles being the best deterrent for *most* knee injuries. I have mostly good "knee days" so have been able to keep it strong with continued running, lifting, and riding.

Top Bottom