Insensitive People

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Not sure if this has made it to a post yet, but I'll put it up anyway. I was cruising one of the wannabee nameless/countless other dirtbike sites when I came across a thread about a kid who had witnessed his best friend getting killed when he cased a huge triple. The kid died on impact. The kid posting it descibed in detail about the accident. I have the feeling he needed to vent to other dirtbikers about his feelings and ideas of quitting the sport. Well anyway, some punk gets on there and asks if the bike was okay, and that was all he wrote. Needless to say, he was ripped apart on there for it. That was fine with me. I am not sure about you guys, but that really makes me angry. The other thing that made me mad was when some other kid said that he wished that the punk kid would be paralized to make up for saying that. It is just sick what some of these 13 or 14 year old kids say. I'm only eighteen, but would never in my wildest dreams wish that on someone.
My neighbor was killed on a crotchrocket a few years ago, and someone asked his parents what they were going to do with the bike. It tore them up. Sorry for being long winded, but this crap that gets posted on some of these sites gets old. :|

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sorry to hear that story.
One thing to keep in mind though, is people react differently to circumstances. Also posts where someone is telling about a serious injury or death are damned hard to respond to (even in real life you don't always know what to say/do) and often it's better to keep quiet than say something.

As for wishing someone were paralysed because of what they said, I'd be careful saying that because I'd feel guilty as hell if it came true. I worked with a guy when I was about your age and the night before he died, he did something to someone and she turned around & said something in retaliation to him about she'd get him in the morning. He died on the way to work and she felt extremely guilty about that, even though it was said in jest. I felt disgusting/worried as a few weeks before I'd thrown something at him & broke his glasses & I worried his glasses had fallen off before he died. It was not a feeling I ever want to feel again, it's been almost half my life & I still remember it. (for the record, he got sunstrike & didn't see the truck in front of him had stopped & went under the truck being decapitated & dying instantly at age 17 - yes he was on a bike). A good friend lost but not forgotten.

Words/actions can be strong & not easily forgotten.
Sorry to hear about the person killed, that truly is horrible.
Michelle

muscle

Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Michelle
One thing to keep in mind though, is people react differently to circumstances.

This is true. I spent 13 years as a fire fighter and have seen it all. In cases of extreme trauma and death I've seen other fire fighters cry, even laugh. Its how they handle the stress. I'm the type that gets all quiet. Most important is to talk about it without fear of being ridiculed in order to vent and generally most folks will be there to help. :D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
IN addition to what others here have said, kids can be mean as hell, seems that the function of worring about others feelings is something that comes with growing-up a little.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Yeah OKIE your right about that, Kids can be DEVILS, I am 16 but I wouldn't wish someone to get paralized,Thats pushing it over the edge I think, I think that its really REDICILUS that someone posted on there and only asked if the bike was okay, I mean I get emosonall(spelling)when I hear of stories like this even when I don't know who they are, I read a couple of months ago that a boy went out and bought a Brand New KX125 and the next day?(first ride on his new bike or any bike for that matter)him and his friend went out and they rode across the train bridge and the boy riding the KX got threw off and fell about 40ft and landed on a pile of rocks and died instantly, I had to turn the PC off and go sit in my room and think to myself, Clutchcover is right there are SO MANY INSENSITIVE little dicks out there, Matt

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by Okiewan
IN addition to what others here have said, kids can be mean as hell, seems that the function of worring about others feelings is something that comes with growing-up a little.

Bingo!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The older I get, the more I realize that everything comes around. Call it bad Kharma or justice, whatever. You may not be there to witness it, but everyone eventually gets theirs back. People rarely get upset at something you DONT say.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
IN addition to what others here have said, kids can be mean as hell, seems that the function of worring about others feelings is something that comes with growing-up a little

yeah how true!!!! also most kids have an attitude of immortality that only growing up will shake.

Not all calloused remarks/off colored jokes are malicious I believe that most people in the instant that they make these remarks are only bolstering themselves up by the thought "hey it can't be no big deal because in five minutes it can be me". The idea of willing harm on someone though is shameful :ugg: :|

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
When you start posting something that personal and tramatic on a Internet BB, you are bound to get stupid comments about it. There's always going to be some stupid comment, then tempers will flare.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I agree Hucker. As they exist in life, dumb, rude people exist on the internet as well. How they've learned how to work it is a mystery to me. Okie made a good point. People who have yet to experience a tramatic incident usually don't know how to react, so they react in an inappropriate manner... that includes young people and older people alike. I think ignorance is more the issue at hand, rather than insensitivity. I'm not sticking up for either idiot, don't get me wrong. It's just easier to blow them off when you understand that they're just plain ignorant and there's not much you can do to change that. Threatening them only makes it worse. It's usually best to leave them be. Sooner or later they will see or experience something they used to joke about and realize it's not funny after all.

My condolences to the individual who lost his friend. It's never easy and ignorant morons don't help matters any.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
im insensitve but not about that stuff if some drunk guy on a banshee crashes and breaks his leg ill laugh my ass off i mean if its stupid nd your fault, like how i broke my arm yestrday i was cracking up , everyone else got scared:)

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i agree with what muscle was saying about how people act in traumatic situations. however, this person on the internet did not know the person that died and it was not like a split second reaction that happens in real life. if i was going to say something like that here on DRN, i would have to click post reply, type everything i wanted to say then click submit. takes a bit more thought (well for some people) :|

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom