Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I am about to tear into the bottom end of my 94' YZ 125, I want to check the bearings and other things. I wont have a problem splitting the case and extracting the crank from the case, but what can be used to press the crank back in??

Are there any home tools that can be used? Just like splitting the case with a steering wheel puller. I can't afford the Tusk tool to install the crank back in the case. There has to be a home tool that can be used.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I like a set of large c-clamps, at the engine mounts, till it gets close enough to use the screws. Center it and done. Most go together enough to swap the longest screws to draw it together. Either way, keep them parallel!

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
So basically, this can be done by using very long screws?? Just going around the case a turn to keep it even. And keep doing that untill its all back together?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I put the case halves in the oven at about 175 -200 degrees (sans transmission bits), and the crank in the freezer. It pretty much went together by hand, with the bolts pulling it in the last little bit. Next time I'm splitting a case I will use the same method. It was super easy...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats it, so what was the big deal? Oh yes, the "I have not done it before" thing, or money? Its been a while since I was in your boots for the first time. So has everyone else on this site, some just not yet. Juliens' advice works good for bearings. I still cringe at the idea of heat and new seals though. Even setting it in the sun will get that puppy warm! Splitting and back together should not take much pressure though, unless you are having some bind-age, careful with that, or search for the "ting" experience. 1 I like is, check the ends up of your trans shafts, are they dead even at the gear face? Are the fork shafts all the way down is another, spin them down to expel the air/oil lock. Prelube with what you are going to use, my crank gets 927 and the tranny gets Castrol GTX. Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Thats it, so what was the big deal? Oh yes, the "I have not done it before" thing, or money? Its been a while since I was in your boots for the first time. So has everyone else on this site, some just not yet. Juliens' advice works good for bearings. I still cringe at the idea of heat and new seals though. Even setting it in the sun will get that puppy warm! Splitting and back together should not take much pressure though, unless you are having some bind-age, careful with that, or search for the "ting" experience. 1 I like is, check the ends up of your trans shafts, are they dead even at the gear face? Are the fork shafts all the way down is another, spin them down to expel the air/oil lock. Prelube with what you are going to use, my crank gets 927 and the tranny gets Castrol GTX. Vintage Bob

You always have good advice :cool: . That sounds easy breezy. This will be my first time tearing into the bottom end. I knew there are tricks to do pretty much everything without buying the proper tools. Are there any more im missing? I know about the "bearing in freezer/case in sun" method, and im using that method to install new crank bearings. I have the bike completely torn down, its getting repainted, and every bearing and seal and part has been inspected, cleaned, or greased.

Now.... I have a hard question for yall, and if you don't know the answer can you guide me to someone who does.

This 94' YZ 125 needs a stator. It is missing the whole stator. So I will need the whole thing not just coils. After a lot of searching, stator's from 94-95' fit. Thing is, I can't find one anywhere. I can find every year around that though.

Is it possible to use a different year stator (like lets say a 96')?? What if I use the flywheel that came with the 96' too. I can rewire a different plug to go to the CDI if thats the problem.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Ok I have another question. :laugh:

I just got done painting the frame and now I am putting it back together. I put the front end back on, then the bearing and seal, washer and nut (that goes under the tripple clamps). How tight should I tighten the nut that goes under the tripple clamps?? Its that weird looking nut.

I cant afford a manual :| , can hardly afford a dirtbike :whoa:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I tighten that nut until the bearings bind, then back off just a bit.. I like my steering to be free, but not too free...

Top Bottom