kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Hello, I'm thinking about putting a K&N pod filter with an outerwear on my carburetor. That way, I can get rid of my whole airbox. Would this work good for riding? The outerwears are 100% waterproof and my KDX200 would get a lot more air. I already have my airbox lid off but want to try the pod filter. Would I have to go up a size on my main jet? The only problem is mud, I'd probably have to stop every once in a while and clean off the mud from the outerwear. But hey, those filters are cheap. I just want to try it. Any suggestions would be great!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Is there water were you ride, or rocks? Don't do it.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Yeah, there's water. But, I's only use ob the old railroad tressels. They're just flat wide open trails. I've seen in some catalogs for wheelers that doing a pod setup will give you the best airflow, just use an outerwear to be on the safe side.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
There's more to the air box than just the filter. The rear fender and the mud flap that protects the shock mount to it. You'll have to figure out how to mount those items if you toss the air box.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Right, I realize that. That's why I'm going to keep the airbox and get rid of the boot that connects it to the carburetor. That way I could inststall the pod filter.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The foam ones are not expensive, as they are reusable and use all the air box to protect them ( minus small air flow improvment mods :) )

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
I would recommend that you make up a bracket of some sort to give the carb some support,I can't see the carb staying mounted by just the front clamp from the intake block,that thing is going to be bouncing around quit abit without the rear airbox boot holding it.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
OK, well thanks for the feedback guys! I'm definitely going to try the K&N pod filter with the outerwear. I'll probably not make a mount for my carb though so hopefully it will stay in place. I guess I'll buy some larger number main jets to mess around with the jetting and get the correct jet to compensate the amount of airflow. I've talked to some guys that have them on their wheelers and they say they are great! You just have to stop every once in a while to knock the dirt and mud off of the outerwear. If this doesn't work too good, then I'll go back to the airbox setup.

Top Bottom