TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
I need my grips to stick well. I have tried carbcleaner/gas/brake cleaner and they only work for about one ride. I want a REAL method.......and also.....i want to buy some safety wire.....wont small craft wisre from wal-mart work?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I use hairspray and safety wire, make sure the bars are clean and only use a little cheap hairspray. As far as the nickel in the grips I don't know about that but the FMF 909 grips with the metal ends work pretty good, especially for woods warriors who use every available object as a kickstand! :)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Saftey wire is the trick :thumb: The glue is important as well, but I've found that the saftey wire is what holds them on. Weather striping adhesive works real well for grip glue. I have used it for yrs. And yes you can get wire from a hardware store, but do a search on saftey wire I posted a ? on where to get some about 2 months. ago and I believe it was harbor frieght that stocks it. As where bike shops will charge you $15-30 for it they sold for like $8-10. I'll post an addy if I can find it.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have used spray paint, hair spray ,grip glue and weatherstrip adhesive<whiever I found first> and all worked extremely well . the key thing is that the bars and grips have to exceptionally clean!!!!! I never had any luck with using a nickel in the end of the grip .thebest thing for that is not to lay the bike down :) I use mechanics wire only because I have a spool of it that I have been trying to get rid of for years

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you use two sided carpet tape, you can apply some around the bar (one layer) and then get it wet with mineral spirits. The grip should slide right on. But be fast, since it won't take long for that to set up...and it's not budging after that. No wire needed, but I use some anywho for the feelgood factor.
If you've ever re-gripped a golf club, then you know exactly how to re-grip a bike.
Use the nickle.

Top Bottom