Installing lower steering bearing?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Is there any other way to install the lower steering stem bearing other than having it pressed on? Ive called a load of places around here but only a few said they could look at it. My only guess is to install it on the stem n push it w/ my hands till it has resistance, then installing it in the frame and torquing it down w/ the nut on top. I can have it pressed but it will take any of the "shops" around here a month to do lol.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I would use the old race if you still have it and a peice of pipe with a hammer.

lay the old race upside down on the new one so it will match up perfectly place a piece of pipe over the stem, set the triple clamp on a block of wood so that the stem is supported and just tap it home with a hammer.

If you can get a piece of pipe that matches the bearing race nicely the old bearing race isn't necessary.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I dont completely understand that jmics. Is it ok to place the old race over the new bearing and beat it on to the stem? I couldnt find a pipe to match the race nicely.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I put one on a 99 YZ125 recently. Here is what I did:

1. Put the lower stem in the freezer overnite.
2. Put the bearing in the oven. Get it hot but not sizzling.
3. Next I used a piece of PVC pipe I bought at home depot. Pushed the bearing down until it would not go any more by hand pressure. Placed the PVC pipe over the stem pushing on the inner race, and with about 3 rubber hammer strikes the bearing was on. The PVC pipe was sized exactly the size of the inner race on the bearing and was a slip fit over the stem. It was soft so it would not hurt anything.

Thats what worked for me.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
the top inner race of the old bearing with the cage and bearings removed should rest up perfectly against the top of the new bearing.

place the new bearing in postion on the stem then place the old bearing with the cage and bearings removed upside down onto the stem. This should make a perfect "adapter" for a not so good fitting pipe to drive the bearing home. does that make more sense?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
then installing it in the frame and torquing it down w/ the nut on top.

That sounds like a good way to damage the bearings.

I've known of folks to use the freezer/oven trick with success. I'd probably try using the old bearing as suggested. I'm not that good in the kitchen.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Freezer & oven work fine. Chances are good that you don't even need a hammer and a piece of tube, because the hot bearing often just drops down on the cold stem. Don't forget to put on the seal/washer blow the bearing!

Top Bottom