Installing Steering Head Race and Bearings

crrider

Apr 21, 2001
I have the Honda service manual and it has a picture of a special tool that is needed to install the bearing race. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get this tool or can it be done without it?

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
If you got them out...

If you managed to get them out, you shouldnt have the slightest bit of trouble. Compared to removing them that is... I helped remove them from my brothers bike and it was a huge pain in the arse. Once we got them out, they pretty much just slid right in. We didnt use any special tools, just put them in as far as you can, then put a 2x4 against it and gently tap them in. Try not to beat on the bearing too much if possible. It makes the job much easier if you put the bearings/races in the freezer before putting them in. Hope this helps a little and good luck.:cool:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
If you want to get the races out run a bead of mig around them & they shrink & fall out.

Just plonk. Right there on the ground.

& you think why the smeg didn’t they stamp that method on the side of the headstock?

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Get a long threaded rod with some nuts that fit. Get a few washers that are slightly larger than the bearing race. Put a nut on the bottom of the threaded rod, put a washer on that, feed the rod through the bottom steering head race. The place the other washer over the top of the threaded rod and screw the other nut on top. Now crank the nuts (no laughing) down until the washers press the bearing races into place.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sorry was being silly. -Welding using a Mig welder.

Don’t go asking for it in a shop or they’ll try to sell you a can of elbow grease to go with it.

Top Bottom