railer

Nov 4, 2005
Hey guys and gals, I have a question regarding theft insurance for my new 09 CRF450. This is the first time I've bought a new bike and I'm going to be storing it in a storage unit near my house.

I've been on the phone with my insurance company, my bank, my storage unit and a recommended tenant insurance company. Nobody seems to want to insure the bike from theft. The closest I've gotten is my bank (USAA) will insure it just like you insure a car, which is not really what I need (and the last time I talked to them, they told me they straight up don't insure anything used for racing). I don't need liability and comp/collision on it for it's not a street motorcycle, which is what USAA wants to do (that is if I don't use it for racing, wtf). All the other insurance companies won't insure anything that is subject to registration or any type of motor vehicle in storage.

I dropped 8 Gs on this thing and I wanna make sure I'm covered if some fool decides he needs it more than I do. Any suggestions? Or do I just need to lay awake at night worrying?

Thanks!

Brian.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
while I don't use 'em, I see that Geico also insures "powersports"

I lucked out and put my bike on my vehicle insurance for a pittance. Oddly enough, though, my 4-wheeler ends up on my homeowner's policy. Weird.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Progressive insures my toys as well. It's crazy cheap too!

railer

Nov 4, 2005
well thanks for the replies y'all. I went with progressive. It was 388.00 for the year. seems like a good price. I dropped all the uninsured motorist stuff and went with comp/col and obviously liability and kept the med. stuff. I guess it'll work. As long as theft is covered, that's all I really care about.

Brian.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
railer said:
As long as theft is covered, that's all I really care about.

Brian.
So are you sure it is? Better to verify now than cry about it not later.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Cool, I've always wondered if anyone actually insured their toys. Have you guys ever needed to use it? If so.. did they try to weasel out of it?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Never needed it but considering they are well known I doubt it would be an issue provided everything was on the up and up. Consider your average idiot that might think he wants a new bike so cuzin' Jeb "stills" his old one and hides it around back...

I've never had trouble with a reputible company provided I was reputible as well, on the flip side I've had a few people try to make false claims and things didn't work out so good for them.

B

biglou

I've got my house and my truck insured with Shelter (based in Columbia, MO), and I get comp and collision only on my bikes for about $40 for a 250 and $78 for a 450 per year. No liability coverage, but to quote my insurance guy, "it's covered for loss no matter what happens to it. If it gets stolen, house falls in or burns down on it, falls off a trailer, etc."

I know they're not fully national yet, but you might see if they have anyone based out there.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A couple of years ago when I called USAA I found out that they sub-contracted all of their motorcycle insurance to Progressive. You just saved a middleman charge.

Agent 007

Dec 30, 2008
I would think that a dirt bike may also be covered under homeowner's insurance as long as it's kept in the garage.

B

biglou

Agent 007 said:
I would think that a dirt bike may also be covered under homeowner's insurance as long as it's kept in the garage.
They're not. I don't know why, but they generally aren't covered under a homeowners policy. There are surely some exceptions out there, but the vast majority aren't covered unless there is a rider attached to the policy, or a separate policy on the bike.

Lots of folks have found this out the hard way.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I insured my bike through my auto policy as well. got comp/collision for $9 a month! that will cover theft...or if I decide to file a collision claim when I wreck it!hahahaha doubt that. But piece of mind is just that!

Top Bottom