Interested in GG 300 & have some ?'s

RLTowns

Jun 17, 2001
After reading some previous posts, thinking about upgrading from my '89 KDX 200 to a GG 300. It seems that my current thought would be the EC but have the following questions.

Would getting a XC with EC motor config be a way to go as mentioned in earlier posts?

Are there any recommended dealers in the Colorado Area?

Are there any suggested mods for my height and weight?

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I am 6'3", 250#, C rider, moslty Trail/Woods riding , RMEC enduro's and limited MX

By the way, what is an Avatar?:confused:

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Hello RLTowns,

I have a 94 KDX and a 99 Gas Gas EC 300. I liked the KDX and still do, however the GG suits me better. I am a 215lb C rider, trails, tight woods and hills are on my normal adgenda. I specifically hunted for a 99 EC because I wanted a true EC. If I was to buy a new one I belive I would opt for the EC motor mods as well. I like the smooth linear power the bike puts out, an XC hits allitte harder (from what I hear). I liked the ergos of my KDX and this bike feels similar but turns better and the suspension is to my liking. Hillclimbing is a world of difference on the GG this thing is a torque monster. I've used Smackover in Arkansas for parts and have been pleased. My nearest dealer is 100+ miles away. Since i did not buy new I can't reccomend a dealer, but the links below shows you the ones in Colorado

http://www.ggna.com/dealerlist.html#colorado

As far as susspension I am not qualified to comment.

Good luck, i think you will be pleased.

WoodChuck

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
I bought my XC200 from European Dirt in Silt, CO (http://www.rof.net/yp/eurodirt/). Cheapest price I found by a couple hundred dollars. However, I also get all my parts from Smackover Motorsports.

I was going crazy trying to decide between EC and XC. I opted for the latter because at 200cc's, I wanted all the power I could get. I would think an intake spacer and flywheel weight should be enough to tame an XC300 if necessary and you will definitely need to do springs and valving for your weight.

At 6'3", you might find the bike somewhat cramped. The bike is so tiny compared to my friend's KTM 300. You should make it a point to ride one (any gas gas) before you buy. A KTM 300 might be a more comfortable choice.

EK

Dec 3, 2000
RL Towns,

Here are my observations on the 2001 GasGas 300XC ( I have not ridden the EC)

I am 6' and about 240lb ready to ride. I am roughly an intermediate level rider.

High octane fuel is in order for the XC. The engine is a BLAST. You can chug it or make it scream. I wouldn't change a thing and I ride tight woods to open tracks.

I installed Renthal Jimmy Button hi bars. These bars really open things up for my 6 ft height. The ergos are great, especially when standing up - which is what I do most of the time.

I re-sprung front & rear for my riding & weight. The .44 front & 5.4 rear springs recommended by Jim Cook at Smackover MotorSports work great for my conditions.

Eric K '01 GasGas 300XC

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
With the 300s, there is less difference between the EC and XC spec motors than with the 250s. All the 300s have used the intake spacer. A standard XC with a 10oz flywheel weight should be fine, or you could order one with an EC head and ignition map for even smoother power. There a little stiff for a 170lb rider stock, so you might like it for basic trail riding. Anything more you will probably need to respring/revalve. The frames are slightly smaller, but there are tall seat foam and bar mount kits available.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Ignition map

I thought all ignition maps were the same, or are they the same only among model lines (all displacement XC's the same, EC's the same, etc.)

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I was told ECs and XCs use a different map, with XCs a more aggressive curve. I'm not sure if a 250 and 300 have the same map, but its possible. Jim at SMS claims this is the biggest difference concerning power delivery, with the 250s anyway. Porting is exactly the same.

RLTowns

Jun 17, 2001
Thanks for all the info.:)

I will be stopping by a dealer this Friday to check on an XC 300.

Will the XC jetting be effected more for temp, elevation, etc. changes than the EC due to the higher compression?

Are there any manufacturers for tall seat foam for the GG, I have found a couple for KTM, but none specifically for GG as of yet, I have not called Smackover Motorsports yet, but they did not have anything on there website.

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
My dad got the 'tall seat foam' off Don Knight's 300. It was simply a piece of Kawasaki seat foam cut down to about 2 inches tall. I think GGNA may offer a better version, or try CEET.

squid

Oct 26, 1999
Tall Seat Foam

I put on Ceet 96kx 250 foam on my 99 ec200, great improvement... I'm not sure if it fits the newer models, give Sam at Smackover a call...

Top Bottom