Interested in racing!! Any suggestions on getting started? OHIO

fast lane

Dec 6, 2002
I NEED INFORMATION ON RACING FOR KIDS(5YR) ANYTHING WOULD HELP AND IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANKS AUSTIN AND HIS MOM

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I see that you live just outside of Cinci.

South Ohio is AMA District 11 for racing. Are you interested in motocross or hare scramble racing?

The District 11 2003 schedule is here: http://www.district11ama.com/2003_Schedule.htm

and more District 11 information here: http://www.district11ama.com/

Basically... to get started racing you will need an AMA card ($39 for a year) www.ama-cycle.org will help or you can buy one at your first race. I also think D-11 requires a District card (can also be purchased at the first race). Then you will be all set. Pick a race on the schedule and go for it. Normal gate fees to get into a race are from $5-10 a person and race fees are usually $20-25.

What type of bike will Austin be racing? In District 11, there is a 4-8 50cc oil injected class for the beginners (mostly PWs, XRs, JRs) and a 4-6 50cc class (mostly Cobras, KTMs, Polinis, LEMs).

I would recommend trying to practice at a track ahead of time before Austin's first race just to get him familiar with the track. If you are racing motocross, on race day he will get a practice (usually 2-5 laps) then normally two motos (two 2-5 lap races). Of course make sure to have all the proper safety gear (helmet, boots, gloves, goggles, long sleeves, pants, chest protector) before he gets on the track.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Definetley go and practice at a track prior to racing. Race day can be really intimidation for a kid. See if any tracks close to you actually have a peewee track. it is a lot safer for your little one to practice on the peewee tracks especially if they have never raced a full size track before.
Maybe Nikki knows of some tracks that actually race on the PeeWee track out by you? Many tracks race the kids on a shortened version of the main track. Its usually tougher than the peewee tracks.
Do you already have a bike. If not you are right in the middle of Cobra terrirory and should be able to find them a dime a dozen. They are made in Ohio.
Like Nikki said you will need the proper gear. Most tracks won't let kids ride without boots, helmet, and goggles. Also usually a shirt going past the elbows too.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
There is a race this weekend at the Henderson Arena in Jackson, OH. Can get details at www.americanmx.com. Go to a couple of the indoor races this winter and take a walk through the pits and talk with the other peewee parents. They'll be more than happy to help you get started on the right foot.

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
KTM DAD,
where are you guys at???? we're over by Steubenville Oh (eastern ohio)...here's a good site (not necessarily for mini's but great for finding out info for ohio races and practices)....we have about 8 or 9 tracks within 45 minutes.....my 6 year old loves it and it's surely a blast for the grown ups too.

http://www.pit-board.com/moto/default.asp

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…