Interested in riding in Iowa.

johnnyboy427

May 1, 2008
Hey everyone. I hope to own a dirtbike for this summer but I have no idea what to get. I have a few friends that go to my school that ride and are more than willing to help me out but I figure the more opinions I get the better. I filled out your bike survey so anyone feel free to chime in what you think should be a good first bike for me.

1) 5'11" 145lbs
2) Not very agressive.
3) I plan to ride a little bit of gravel roads but mostly dirt trails.
4) I've ridden a 125 yamaha for a day before this winter. Thats as far as my experience goes.
5) I have no plans to race.
6) I am mechanically inclined and learn very fast but with cars but i'm sure the BASICS are the same right?
7) I don't have an engine preference but I DO like yamaha. Doesnt HAVE to be a yamaha though.
8) I have a yamaha dealer and a general motorsports dealer nearby.
9) I don't want to spend more than about 1500-2000
10) I do not live in cali. Why is that important??
11) I am 17.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
What are your friends riding? At your size you could ride a full size mx bike. If all your buddies are on mx'ers that's probly what I'de look at. A 125 is a bit snappy for a beginner but should be ok. For trails an xr or ttr would be fine. Go down to the dealer and sit on some bikes. See what feels comfy.

johnnyboy427

May 1, 2008
Actually my one of my friends is selling his ttr250 but its a 1999 so its old. Would a 250 be too much power anyway for a beginner?

In the main group of people I would ride with one rides a 125, one rides a 230, 2 ride 250s and one of them sometimes rides his dads 450, and 1 rides a 400.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Are they all 4 strokes? A 4 stroke 250 trail bike should be fine for a beginner.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…