Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Not to ignite a 250T vs. 450F debate again, but I've heard repeatedly that the reason the 250 class switched to 450's was mainly due to extra power (shocker, I know). Not that the 250T didn't have the power, but you just don't have to ring the 450F out as hard to get the power.

Then we heard DeCoster comment during the fuel dilemma that the 450F won't make more power with extra lead. And in fact, the bike makes so much power that they try to tune it back just a hair. (further substantiating that their team isn't looking for more power to win races)

At the most recent round, however, I heard about 3 different times the broadcasters comment how Kawasaki finally got the team some newer, more powerful engines. Which sounded like an explanation for Bubba's most recent explosiveness. "You know, Kawi got those new engines..."

But we've been hearing all along that the 450F makes too much power to fully use, so why would a more powerful engine be better?

Personally, I think the "450 makes more power than we can use" comment is weak. If a rider has a faster bike, he'll find a way to use it short of COMPLETELY over-riding the track. But I would think especially in long straights and whoop sections, even another 10 HP would be a killer advantage from one pro to another.

Anyway....just interesting as the story never seems to be 100% straight.

Micah

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Simple answer.

There isn't a new Kawaski engine making more power, not enough to win races anyway.

Kawasaki is simply making excuses as to why their rider is suddenly winning races. Did Michael Byrn get this new engine? Why is it that he isn't doing any better. In fact, Ivan Tedesco has been doing better, on his "low horsepower" RMZ.

It's all just marketing BS.

Last edited:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
CaptainObvious said:
It's all just marketing BS.

Yep. Does anyone think the top 3-5 places would change regardless of which brand the riders were on. RC on a YZ? Bubba on a CR?

Would they even change if it was RC and Bubba on 250 2 strokes and everyone else on 4 strokes . . .

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Have you guys seen the new Transworld MX... The article with the mechanics, and anominous quotes... Something like 80% of the guys would rather be on two strokes for SX... I found that interesting...
I also think it's true that the 450's make more power than you can use for SX... I'm sure when Roger D talks about tuning them down, he means moving the torch curve around a bit to suit their needs... Sometimes better motors put out less peak HP...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The article with the mechanics, and anominous quotes... Something like 80% of the guys would rather be on two strokes for SX... I found that interesting...
Well, let's see... take a bunch of guys that have worked on a simplier technology forever and then ask them to adapt to the 4-stroke. How many would you expect would actually want to? Pretty much human nature to resist change regardless of the subject. Can't see how that poll was surprising at all.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
biglou said:
The announcers actually said "bigger, more powerful" engines...
These are the same announcers that can't remember the top three riders names. Wouldn't bigger motors be potentially illegal?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
only potentially, Okie. Maybe Kawasaki is the only mfr. left on the board and making new rules without telling anyone else!

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Yeah, I shouldn't have over thought it. These are the guys who say:

"Oh my....Carmic....I mean Reed...er....James Byrne...gahhh.......Ivan gets mixed up with uh...McGrath."

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It's sad when a 9 year old calls the announcers idiots, but he still doesn't know which one is James Reed and which is Carmicstewart. They're always up front, but never make the results list.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
No, no it is true Kawasaki just put a bigger more powerful engine in Byrne and Stewart's bikes it a 480 now. The AMA just felt bad that they gave RC his points back and JS was so bummed about it they said well to make up for it you guys can run a 480. So there you have it but he only gets it for the rest of the SX Season, he has to go back to the 450 for the start of the nationals. :coocoo:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Who really knows what Kaw had to say about their motors........and what their statement became by the time it got to the "announcers." With all the power a 450 makes, perhaps the improvement they made was merely more of a "usable power" thing where power is put to the ground better. Up until 06, the YZ450 has been known for hard-hitting, violent power. We may see faster lap times at the local tracks this year by Yamaha riders simply because the 06 YZ450 is more managable. Remember the violence of the old CR500's? They tuned them down for years.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
dante said:
Have you guys seen the new Transworld MX... The article with the mechanics, and anominous quotes...
One of the coolest and best articles I've ever seen in a mag. Anonymous and truthful.

Okiewan said:
Well, let's see... take a bunch of guys that have worked on a simplier technology forever and then ask them to adapt to the 4-stroke. How many would you expect would actually want to? Pretty much human nature to resist change regardless of the subject. Can't see how that poll was surprising at all.
Not that it has anything to do with human nature resisting change, it's just flat out logic. Thumpers are more complicated than smokers, so they're more work.

Everyone complains about the announcers and Krista because she's not as hot as Jamie or Erin. I couldn't care less. She's better at commentating than Erin, just not as nice to look at (does she remind anyone else of Robert's wife from Everybody Love Raymond?) I think Ralph has worked hard and learned a lot to be a motocross anouncer... he's obviously not an old racer.

And Denny is a Lites champion at least, he just talks too fast sometimes. His insight is better than people give him credit for.

Ryan

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Ryone said:
And Denny is a Lites champion at least
Ryan
Sorry, but no. They have not yet awarded the first ever "Lites" championship. Denny did win an AMA 125 class title once, however. :bang:

Top Bottom