Intermitent spark with HTCDI

willub

Jun 9, 2010
Ok I basically have a brand new ignition system in this bike. At first I got new stator coils, still didnt spark. New coil, still no spark. Got my HTCDI unit Saturday and now it is sparking, but not all of the time. I'll try closing the plug gap next and any help would be appreciated, I'm getting sick of this bike not running!

Now just to confirm the wiring of the HTCDI on an 85 kdx 200, the Red/black of the cdi goes to red/white from stator and black from the cdi goes to ground. The blue and black wires go to nothing? Just want to make sure

willub

Jun 9, 2010
No they are wires coming from the stator, black is a ground that went to the original cdi(grounded it and it didnt help) and blue carries the same voltage as the red/white wire. I closed the gap to somewhere around .015-.020 and it sparks every time. I'll get some new gas, drain the carb and try tomorrow, and yes I'm getting fuel, the plug is wet when I take it out.

willub

Jun 9, 2010
Ok I'm getting consistent spark now but when I try and start it I get nothing. Plug gets wet and its not firing at all (this is with new gas). When I try roll starting it, it will backfire a couple times(choke on and off). I put the stator plate back exactly where it was stock, but it seems the plug is sparking around bottom dead center. Any suggestions of what could be wrong?

Top Bottom